Every computer I've purchased from Apple has had a bad hard drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lamina, Jun 15, 2008.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

This morning, I noticed my black MacBook that I bought in April was acting funny. MP3s were stuttering, and the whole system would lock up intermittently.

I put my ear on the case, where the hard drive is, and I heard the dreaded clicks of death. The SMART status was good, but the computer simply won't boot. It sits on a blue screen.

I've tried all the hardware tests, booting to a restore DVD and running disk utility, reinstalled OSX, and still nothing. Still making that delightful clicking sound.

My experience is not indicitive of Apple computers as a whole, but *3* computers! THREE. My PowerBook G4 17", my iMac, and now my MacBook. All have had bad drives.

Should I bother sending an email to Apple?

2. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

3. chscag macrumors 65816

I would send a letter to the local district manager in Ontario and relate your experiences. An email is too easily brushed aside.

BTW, if you were from Texas, I'd say you were "snake bit". :(

Regards.

4. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Interesting. Where would I find that contact information? I'll see if it's available on the Apple website... jeez what a pain in the ass. (The computer troubles, not the contacting the manager thing)

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Depends on where you send the carbon copy to. ;)

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

To be honest I think you were just unlucky. I mean Apple doesn't make the hard drives, its usually Seagate or WD as of late. And a few faulty hard drives have found their way in, the first batch of Santa Rosa Macbooks with a Seagate drive were borked.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just a hint...

A letter to Apple in shaky crayon (or cut and paste letters) complaining about the bad drives, might just get sent to threat assessment.