Every peripheral will convert to USB-C, but what about cameras that use SD cards

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saintforlife, Nov 6, 2016.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

So Apple can get every peripheral accessory to connect to the Mac to USB-C. I get that.

But what I don't understand is that removal of the SD card slot which are almost the universal standard when it comes to storing photos on cameras.

What is Apple's expectation here with respect to cameras and SD cards? That camera manufacturers will come up with some kind of wireless data transfer protocol? Or that they will just include USB-C cable for transferring photos and everyone will just carry that cable around?

2. cmaier macrumors G3

Or you buy an SD card reader. Apple has a very nice one from sandisk on sale right now.

3. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Buy a usb-c sdCard reader.

That's what Phil Schiller said
    "The new Pros have no SD card slot for a camera memory card. Why not?
    Because of a couple of things. One, it’s a bit of a cumbersome slot. You've got this thing sticking halfway out. Then there are very fine and fast USB card readers, and then you can use CompactFlash as well as SD. So we could never really resolve this – we picked SD because more consumer cameras have SD but you can only pick one. So, that was a bit of a trade-off. And then more and more cameras are starting to build wireless transfer into the camera. That’s proving very useful. So we think there’s a path forward where you can use a physical adaptor if you want, or do wireless transfer."

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...rview-phil-iphone-ios-criticism-a7393156.html

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Card reader all the way! I've been shooting photos for years and never used the SD slot in my computers to get the images into the computer. I just recently got a Satechi USB-C card reader to use with my rMB when traveling -- it's very small and has the USB-C connection on one end and a USB-A connection on the other so I can also use it with my other computers if I so desire.

5. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Real reason - Apple wants people storing photos in iCloud, for obvious financial reasons.

6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    A lot of professional photographers and serious amateurs don't bother with Apple's Photos program at all, nor do they store their images in iCloud. That kind of thing is fine for those whose primary camera is their cell phone, though.....

7. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

8. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

I have a USB-A to Mini USB AmazonBasics cable that does the job perfectly with my Canon EOS Utility. No need to take the card out. Also, I think that stuffing the card in the card reader, having OS X read it, write its files to it, and other stuff, lends easy corruption. My solution, that I am very happy with, in fact, is to put cards in the camera, connect the camera to computer via aforementioned cable, and let EOS Utility rip the RAW files into DPP. Then, format the card within the camera and move to the next card. For me, that solution works far more reliably with only Canon and its software involved.

9. danniexi macrumors 6502

Most professional cameras primarily use CF or XQD. All professional photographers will have a dedicated card reader anyway to take advantage of the higher speed transfers.

Apple is really pushing for a universal port and TB3/USB-C is really the answer.

Though I will disagree with Schiller saying that wifi transfer should be used.