Every Program Starting up during Startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoldenEye19, Aug 20, 2011.

1. GoldenEye19, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

GoldenEye19 macrumors newbie

I just recently purchased my mac last week and I'm still trying to get used to it since I switched from windows. One problem that has been bugging me is when I startup my macbook, almost like 5-6 programs start(AIM, Mozilla Firefox, iCal, iTunes, and even Microsoft Word). I looked online to find out how to fix this problem and it told me to go utilities>system preferences>users and groups>Login Items tab to disable programs that startup. When I'm on the login items page, the only program I see in the box is "iTunesHelper". I do not see all those other programs that I listed above under the login items box. How do I fix this problem? Here is a screenshot of it:

[​IMG]

2. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Most likely, when you shut down you are selecting "Reopen windows when logging back in" on the shutdown menu. It's automatically selected, and I'm not sure how to change the default of it.:apple:

edit: (you have mail!)

3. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I have had similar things happen to my 2011 13" and unchecking that box when I restart sometimes works but sometimes doesn't work. The only way I can seem to guarantee that all those programs don't start at restart is the quit them all before shutting down. PITA!

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If this is the only way you can get it to work, you can create an automator application that will let you close all running applications just by clicking on it. It's really easy and I can walk you through it if you can't figure it out. Just open automator in applications, the program isn't that hard to figure out.

5. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Thanks, touchdownjesus! Go Notre Dame! :)

I have played with the automator some but not really done a lot with it. I'll have to play around and see if I can get it to do that for me, that would rock! Of course, I am so used to working in the PC world that I don't tend to run a lot of programs at the same time and often quit programs out of habit. Right now I have 6 programs running and that's a LOT for me! LOL!