Every screw lines up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wyattroa, Mar 7, 2011.

1. wyattroa macrumors newbie

Just got my new MBP and took the back off to install the 8gb's. I set the screws out specifically where each needs to be put back in. The last to be put back in are the side screws, I get to the last screw and the little bugger does not like to sit flush anymore. You slide your finger over it and the it sticks up and I am not about to strip this thing. Should I be setting up an appointment at the local mac store? return it and buy a new one? I did buy the apple car plan.
    Robert

2. I3eXa macrumors 6502

thats a really confusing post. So you went to put the screws back in and they one didn't sit flush, is that correct? Are they all the same length? I would go to ifixit.com and look at the detailed repair walkthough to make sure you did it all correctly...some great stuff there. Hope you work it out. Maybe post a pic of your issue here?!?

3. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

4. wyattroa thread starter macrumors newbie

Each screw was put back in the exact spot that it was taken out of. I am the anal type, i set the screws on a piece of paper in the spot where they were taken out on the computer, so that I can then put them back in the exact same spot..Not really rocket science, but just being safe. It was one of the side screws on the side of the machine where there are short screws. It is almost as if the threads in the hole are bad and screw wont go in..I looked at the screw and it looks fine.

5. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

When i was doing my ram install i noticed the same thing, some screws had to be put in at an angle to be flush. Try sliding it in at an angle that should help.

6. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I know exactly what you're talking about and had that happen with two previous macbook pros. Maddening, isnt it?

What I'd suggest is rethreading them a couple times, in and back out. If that doesn't work, try swapping different screws in different spots. Mysteriously, I swapped spots and they went in flush.

Also, -I'm sure you did this - don't tighten them all snug until you've got all of them loosely tightened. Then go back around and tighten that last revolution or two.

Good luck. It looks like you've already showed more restraint than I had by coming here to make this thread, as opposed to forcing it. :)

7. wyattroa thread starter macrumors newbie

I took the back cover off and put the screw into the spot and it had no issues going in..sigh...Then I decided to screw that hole in first and had no issues...problem fixed..lol..

8. sk3tch macrumors regular

Ugh these types of stories are exactly why I don't want to open up my MBP. Despite having YEARS of PC DIY experience. I opened up my first MBP (from '09) and I could never get the screws back in correctly...the fit/finish wasn't the same.

You bet your ass that I am going to take apart my new '11 15" MBP with great care and put everything where it should be. I need to install an optibay tomorrow. :eek: