Every single call is dropped with 2.0.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daniels, Sep 4, 2008.

1. daniels macrumors member

I just got my iPhone 3G replaced because the screen wasn't level. I had 2.0.2 on it and dropped calls were a significant issue. I'd say once or twice a day a call would be dropped. I hadn't seen any improvement from 2.0.1. The new iPhone they gave me had 2.0.1 on it. The genius told me to update it when I got home. I tried to make a call in the store as I was walking out. It ran twice and then said call failed. This was in the Boylston Street Apple Store in downtown Boston. I immediately showed it to an employee and asked what the deal was. Two people talked to me and said that absolutely shouldn't have happened. I told them it had 2.0.1 and they said 2.0.2 fixes the dropped calls issue. I told them it hadn't in my case. They offered to update it for me in-store but I didn't want to waste their time with that. They told me to come back if I had any more problems after updating.

On the walk home I made 2 calls, both of which were dropped before the person could pick up. When they called back I spoke for about 10 seconds before the call failed. I'm currently updating the software to 2.0.2 but the fact that I had 4 calls dropped in downtown Boston with full 3G coverage is outrageous. Did anyone else have it this bad with 2.0.1 and did 2.0.2 fix or improve this for you?

2. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

It's becasue not everyone has updated to 2.0.2. What happens, is that when someone with 2.0.1 connects to your cell tower, it wpies out the whole tower. So in essence, when you connected to the cell tower with 2.0.1, you messed up the tower for everyone connected on it, including those on 2.0.2. Never, with any other firmware, has AT&T or Apple, sent out a text message to upgrade immediately. They did when 2.0.2 came out. I think that shows how important and large of a software issue this really was.

3. orrelse44 macrumors regular

Ditto.

I think I read some article somewhere about how if everyone updates GOOD things will happen.....where did I read that? ;)

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Umm, this is a little dramatic. The articles out there do say we should all upgrade to 2.0.2. but nothing I've read says anything about one user wiping "out the whole tower." Care to share a link with that info?

http://gizmodo.com/5043031/the-iphone-3gs-problem-may-have-been-found-and-fixed

5. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Perhaps you should read the second to last paragraph in this article then:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article...update_addressed_iphone_3g_dropped_calls.html

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

7. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Well lets see. If one phone takes all the power from the the tower, the tower cannot process other other users. And it's not just that there's 1 phone out there, there are THOUSANDS that have yet to upgrade to the 2.0.2 upgrade. You don't have just 1 phone banging the towers, in overcrowded environments like NYC, you have thousands doing it. Until they can get to the 90-95% of phones upgraded to the new firmware, you will have spotty reception and dropped calls. The ball is in the end users court right now, and you have a TON of people who need to get with the program to help get this resolved. And a LOT of those people who haven't upgraded are the ones complaining. They have nobody to blame but themselves. When they take the time to send MILLIONS of text messages saying UPDATE to version 2.0.2, you probably should.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

He clearly meant "wiping out" to mean "spreading the 2.0.1 problems to all users, regardless of their firmware number."

At least, that's what I read it as. And that's exactly what the document he provided says. So it seems that is, in fact, what he meant.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wow you'd make a crappy lawyer. Oh wait, maybe you would make an awesome lawyer. You have tried to change the focus of my point twice now.

My point is, your post cited a ridiculous self imagined premise...

"What happens, is that when someone with 2.0.1 connects to your cell tower, it wpies out the whole tower. So in essence, when you connected to the cell tower with 2.0.1, you messed up the tower for everyone connected on it, including those on 2.0.2."

This implies that ONE person using 2.0.1 can cripple a tower.

I never said that the article(s) describing the need to update to 2.0.2 were wrong...why would I? I don't disagree at all. You seem to have misunderstood.

10. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I think Apple needs to force the issue. If/when you sync your phone with iTunes it should force the d/l. People need to realize that this is an important update. Hell when is the last time Apple texted you about an update?

11. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Or, you could ask an AT&T CSR who would tell you that it is because:
    A) You need to talk with Apple
    B) There is a hurrican somewhere causing your calls to drop
    C) Network issues are being experienced and you will have to call back later from a different phone
    D) They have adopted Snoop Dogg's motto and are now dropping calls like their hot

12. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

I seriously doubt ONE PERSON can cripple a tower... Many people with 2.01 probably can, but ONE PERSON...no way. AT&T and Apple are retarded but even I give them more credit than putting out a massive network crippling product and letting it go 2 months before acting.

13. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

LOL :D

14. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Never underestimate the power of software bug causing bad things to happen. Once in the military, a friend of mine being cute thought it would be funny to insert into my VAX login script a a single line of code that would automatically log me off. To his surprise, he wiped out the ENTIRE VAX system in a matter of seconds. Seems he didn't realize how the system actually worked and that every time that script executed, it started this recursive nightmare of scripts spawning new login scripts etc, etc, etc. Within seconds of login in, I had several THOUSAND logins and the system came to a grinding halt. The implications of what happened could have been PARAMOUNT to this countries safety if this system were operational at the time.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Two main differences here...one, you're talking about a code that was executed. Connecting to a radio network with a handset is not the same as executing code. The article about the 2.0.2 update discusses it reducing power draw, so it's a power issue, not a software issue.

Two, if a single user running 2.0.1 could bring down an entire tower, then A.) every tower on the entire network would already be down, as there are no doubt thousands of people out there (or more) still running 2.0.1, and B.) we would not be seeing text messages from AT&T advising us to update; we would be seeing a nationwide mandatory iPhone recall, with possible involvement from the FCC, so that each and every handset could be updated under supervision.