Every time I put my (new) iMac to sleep, it reboots?

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
It's a new 21.5" Late 2011 base model running Lion.

I didn't start doing this until this afternoon, after I installed additional RAM. I'm assuming this has to be related to it somehow.

I installed a 2x4GB set (in addition to the standard 2x2) for a total of 12GB in the system. In System Profiler, it's showing the correct amount installed.

However, whenever I go to put the machine to sleep, it'll 'sleep' for a few moments, then do a full restart (not just wake from sleep). I tried shutting down the machine, and that worked. However, even after a full shutdown, the sleep issue still persists. I tried resetting the PRAM but the problem still exists.

Last edited:

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
It's a new 21.5" Late 2011 base model running Lion.

I didn't start doing this until this afternoon, after I installed additional RAM. I'm assuming this has to be related to it somehow.

I installed a 2x4GB set (in addition to the standard 2x2) for a total of 12GB in the system. In System Profiler, it's showing the correct amount installed.

However, whenever I go to put the machine to sleep, it'll 'sleep' for a few moments, then do a full restart (not just wake from sleep). I tried shutting down the machine, and that worked. However, even after a full shutdown, the sleep issue still persists. I tried resetting the PRAM but the problem still exists.
mix and matching different sticks of ram could be your problem... try just the two sticks you bought... if it continues, try just the stock ram that came w/ the imac etc... you're gonna have to experiment.