Everyone seems to have the sport model

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shenfrey, May 15, 2015.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Is it because its cheaper, or because its a first gen product or it looks better than SS? Or is it a little bit of all 3?

I for one have the SS but I am thinking about returning it due to the sheer number of people who own the sport model, I can't help but think that these people were more educated in their decision as oppose to me who just preferred the look of the SS to the sport.

I guess I will wait to see what your responses are.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

10 Reasons Why People’s Approval Shouldn’t Matter
    http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/10-reasons-why-peoples-approval-shouldnt-matter.html

1. It’s Not Their Life
    2. They Don’t Know What’s Best For You
    3. What’s Right For Someone Else May Be Completely Wrong For You
    4. Be Independent Of The Good Opinions of Others
    5. You’re The One Stuck With The End Result
    6. Your Inner Guidance Matters
    7. Trust Your Ability To Make Decisions
    8. Live With Integrity
    9. Others Don’t Care As Much As You Think
    10. The Hard Truth: It’s Impossible To Please Everybody

3. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Why not?

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I guess most people buy it for the technology, and not the jewelry part of it. And then the cheapest model is the way to go.

5. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

I ordered the 42mm SS with Link. If 99% of people are happy with the sport I would still keep my SS Watch and we can all be happy :)

It shouldn't matter what others bought but since you are after people's opinions I hope mine helps

6. leeingham macrumors 6502

I chose the SG sport purely as I wanted a black watch and didnt want to pay (or could afford the black link bracelet) plus I prefer the matt finish of the sports as I currently own the Nike GPS watch, 3 G-Shocks and a black fossil - all which have matt finishes and only ONE Fossil in a steel finish

7. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

If you prefer the SS over sport then keep it! It's your watch, you have to like it.

I have the SS and love mine, and if you look at some threads there are plenty of people with the SS.

8. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I suppose when I say "everyone" I get that impression from all the YouTube videos.

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

:D okay since I've awoken at that awkward time before my alarm is due to go off yet could still get decent sleep if I zone out in the next ten minutes, I need to read really weird random stuff to knock myself back unconscious. So, I'll pretend you're serious...because...you can't really be...

You speak as if this nebulous "Everyone" is a very special person who has done you many special favors and has had an incredible positive influence on your life, that you should want to go through such bother and waste of resources to please Everyone. Given that you are so devoted to Everyone's good opinion I hope that Everyone is always there to keep you warm at night, sheltered, and company in your hour of need.

I personally have found Everyone to be rather fickle, capricious, undecided and unreliable. Therefore, I've learned to develop and trust my own judgement, and rely on the counsel of proven and reliable close friends on those occasions when I am still undecided.

Oh and if that doesn't persuade you, remember...Dots...we has them! We gots the dots on the crown! ......zzzzzzzzzzzzx.......

10. grenhall macrumors regular

I have the sport and the SS on order. The sport arrived first so... Will replace it with the more durable SS-model though.

11. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

My experience has been the opposite. All the people I know who own an Apple Watch have the Stainless Steel model. In fact I have not seen a sport model of the watch in the wild.

It's really up to everyone's own preference.

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You, I like you.

13. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

Reason why I chose the space gray model

1) I went to the Apple Store and tried on both aluminium and stainless steel models, I felt the black space grey fit my personality and style more (wardrobe is mostly dark colors). The stainless looked too dressy for me and therefore I felt it wasn't a good match.

2) I would rather pay the cheaper price of the sport than for the stainless steel as this is a first gen model.

3) I did not feel the sapphires scratch resistance yet vulnerability for being shattered when dropped was worth the price. I know I'm probably more prone to drop the watch and shatter the screen, besides scratches on the screen wouldn't make it completely unreadable.

14. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Some people like Marmite, some don't.
    Some people can afford or are willing to spend the extra for sapphire and a nice shiny finish. Some aren't.

It's all about personal choice. I love my SS, wouldn't consider a Sport model, I don't like the look of it. Others will have the opposite opinion. Does it matter? No of course not. Buy what YOU like, be happy with it and to hell with what anyone else thinks.

15. bushido Suspended

bushido

I returned my Sport after a week cuz i didnt think i really had use for it. once it was gone i realized that i am actually missing it lol

so i ordered a SS which should be arriving in an hour or so :)

16. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Yeah it does seem to worm its way into your daily life after a bit, hope you enjoy your new one more.

17. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

Don't you mean "more scratchable" SS model?
    That's the reason I avoided SS and the ridiculous price tag. Way too shiny for me. My .02

18. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

It definitely will scratch, well they all will, but I've been stunned at how well my SS is holding up so far. It managed to survive a day of humphing concrete slabs yesterday, including getting knocked on a few, and it didn't scratch. I was more surprised than anyone.

19. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

The SS or the screen?

20. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Hmm, I do have to say I don't really agree with this. Several people actually thought I was wearing jewelry, while it's 'only' the Apple Watch Sport. Yes, it's made out of aluminum and no real premium material. Still, it feels like some jewelry, and again... Some people think it is too.

Might be because of the display which shines nicely. But still. It's not just a piece of technology, not to me.

--

By the way, it's not that I bought the Apple Watch while considering it as a fashion object. But if it would have looked like that Samsung Gear 2 for example, I would not even think about getting one. I do prefer the fact Apple Watch, regardless of the model, looks nice. :p

21. grenhall macrumors regular

No I don't. If the SS scratches it would be on the case itself which is easily fixable so that don't bother me at all. However if the screen scratches that would be an issue for me at least.

22. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I have the SS and will be keeping the SS. This is because the SS is the one I wanted and I can make my own decisions.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'd love to hear your trick of dropping the watch while it's tethered to your wrist ;)

24. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

I've read people dropping their watches off furniture and cointertops onto their floors. That's the kind of drop i was referring to.

25. Dave245 macrumors 601

I got the SS mainly because i like the way it looks and the bands that can be brought separately, also because the SS seems more durable (with the sapphire screen).