Everyone told me this battery story wrong apparently...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ki2594, Jun 14, 2008.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Everyone said theres no point of taken the macbook out of the charger and it doesnt lose mAh. but i haven't really taken it out now for a week (other than at nite i took it out) and the mAH of the battery went down from 5400 to 5360...?!?
    so which IS INFACT better, taking it out or keeping the magsafe in!

2. chscag macrumors 65816

Apple recommends letting the battery discharge every so often in order to keep it functioning properly. I have the same exact MacBook as you do and keep mine hooked to AC power most of the time as it's used primarily in place of a desktop. Once a month I follow the Apple recommendation and let it discharge and recharge.

Take a look at the Apple knowledge base article at the Apple support site for detailed information.

Regards.

3. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i use it primarily on the desk but how much mAH is ur current battery holding? (check on coconutBattery)

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

With lithium ion batteries, many short (shallow) discharges are preferable to deep cycles. You should "excercise" your battery at least occasionally. Calibrate after 30 cycles (Apple says 30 days because they believe a laptop user cycles once a day).

5. rhyndu macrumors regular

Battery technology has def. improved over the generations.

My Rev 2 MB had an original capacity of 5135 (according to CoconutBattery) and after load-cycles is down to 4090.

Don't worry 'bout it. Batteries naturally loose their capacity bit by bit over time.

6. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

sorry but 5400 to 5360 is not that much of a drop. Thats prob normal. Most batteries drop and go back up.

See if it gets much worse. Use it normally. Take it off charge when you need to. Dont if you dont.

THATS what apple reccomends

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

The battery in my MBP, that I've had for almost a year now, is down to 88% health, after 113 charge cycles. Not complaining. It seems to have fallen to this level rather quickly (6-8 months) but seems to have stabilised.

8. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Just calibrate your battery as Apple recommends and you'll be ok. BTW it's only 40 mili-amps so no need to sweat it! Nothing at all to be concerned about! ;)

9. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

my MBP's battery capacity jumps all over the place... goes from 5502 to 5337 to 5109 to 5496 to 5388 where it is right now. I wouldn't worry

10. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My BlackBook (before I sold it) 2.4 Penryn had mAh = 5417 brand new, and just before I sold it mAh = 5422, but I calibrated it twice, only had 4 cycle count since I bought it on February 28, '08. Calibrate it or else! LOL :p

12. priller macrumors regular

Mine started on 5020 mAH & is now on 5413 mAH after 34 cycles, never been calibrated, bought it 22 February 08.

13. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I have to agree with this person. You have way too much free time to be worrying about a few mAh drop in your battery capacity.

.... You have any hobbies? You should find one. :D Okay, that was mean - here's my real thoughts:

Whether you use it or not, the battery's capacity will degrade over time - that's just how they are. They have a shelf life just like that loaf of bread you bring home from the grocery store... though the battery has a much longer one! If you really want to do yourself a favor, go Google "lithium ion batteries" and read all of the articles, papers, manufacturer info and results you can. Form your own conclusion based on YOUR findings rather than asking strangers and be happy with yourself that you achieved some form of education via self-motivation to understand a technology that everyone here will have a differing opinion on.

14. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL funny funny
    sorry im not great on this battery stuff
    but thanks everyone!