Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolidSnak3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
1- Are the graphics as bad as they say in old games ( examples : team fortress 2, wow, half life etc)
2-Are the fan as loud as they say?
3-Would you recommend it? why/ why not?
4-Does it overheat easy?
5- Any other problems that new buyers should be aware of ?

ajarnfalang

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

1- the Intel HD 3000 received good reviews. That's just the graphics that come with that processor.

2- old macs get noisy

3- no. Overpriced and under spec'd

4- since te specs are so low, I wouldnt think so. however, it's a metal laptop, so if pushed I'm sure you'll get a 3rd degree burn. Plastic takes heat much better.

5- yea. The display is so glossy it will annoy you for as long as you own it.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
1- Are the graphics as bad as they say in old games ( examples : team fortress 2, wow, half life etc) No they are fine, about the same as 320M from last gen

2-Are the fan as loud as they say? Again, similar to last gen, quiet as a mouse while surfing etc, more noise when gaming

3-Would you recommend it? why/ why not? Depends on your needs, but yeah it's a great laptop with an uber fast CPU

4-Does it overheat easy? Gets hot gaming, but what laptop doesn't, otherwise lovely and cool

5- Any other problems that new buyers should be aware of ? Nope

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
1- Are the graphics as bad as they say in old games ( examples : team fortress 2, wow, half life etc)
2-Are the fan as loud as they say?
3-Would you recommend it? why/ why not?
4-Does it overheat easy?
5- Any other problems that new buyers should be aware of ?

1. I'm okay with the new 3000 graphics for Adobe Premier and Illustrator and such, haven't done the gameing thing

2. Fans are loud under max load

3. Yes, the 1199 model is a good upgrade from the one I had two years ago, it's the best of the cheapest Mac's so far. But if you wanna go big just hit the 15in Market.

4. Never overheated, and I did the 5 hour video processing test where all 4 cores were maxed out for 5 hour

5. glossy screen and it the prices on these babies should be 999 and 1099...just saying....

ZombieZakk

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
1-people have played SC2, WOW, L4D2, TF2 all on about medium with 30-40fps low they jump to around 60fps

2- they getnoisy when your stressing them i.e. gaming but any laptop does you wont hear them while in general use even with 6 applications open

3-I would if it suites your need anyone with a 2010 model no dont upgrade its not enough of an upgrade form there to warrant it unless you need it. If you have an older or no laptop then yes go for it i have an early 09 imac mine is replacing and will be a huge improvement.

4- No it wont "overheat" it will get warm doing intensive tasks but that is typical of any laptop i have an alienware that does the same. it will run perfectly normal temp which is rather cool unless your doing a lot of gaming. or CPU intesive tasks. both of which you wont be away from a charger for long so it will probably be on a desk.

5- None that i am aware of yet.

danistyping

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Boston, MA
1- Are the graphics as bad as they say in old games ( examples : team fortress 2, wow, half life etc) - Gaming is 10-20% better than my 2010 Macbook Pro with the 320m. Despite everyones whining, I have seen improved performance over the last generation.
2-Are the fan as loud as they say? No. I can't hear the thing AT ALL and I installed a 7200rpm HDD in it. People complaining about noise are hyper sensitive.
3-Would you recommend it? why/ why not? Yes - It's very fast, has a beautiful screen (but the resolution is too low for my liking)
4-Does it overheat easy? No. Period.
5- Any other problems that new buyers should be aware of ? If you want suuuuper good graphics, don't get it. The graphics are excellent but not for anything intensive. When I say excellent, I mean that for the average user. If you are a professional photo or video editor, go with a higher end model.

jakku

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
I'm so confuse :confused: many people telling for heat and fan noise issues, not only in macrumors, but many posts are in apple.com community ? I'm the one who planning buy MBP 13" 2.3MHz baseline, later upgrade to SSD, but in my country it will be on next week. I'm graphic designer, so I want best choise of mac, now I can buy new 2010 13" 2.4 C2D with 320M or wait for a week and get double perfomance 2011 MBP witch is really got for specs, but I'm worry with same heat and noise issues :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.