Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Got the Rev 2 G5 (ALS) and I have to say, it's still holding up pretty well for me. Still on Tiger, though. Not sure if the jump to Leopard will be worth it yet.

How are your G5s after all these years?

amiga

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2006
London.
My iMac G5 iSight needed some work with in its first year but since then its been solid (Fingers crossed). I had a tough time with a Power Mac G5 though... :(

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
On my G5 2.1Ghz super drive died few weeks ago. Need to order new one. But beside of that everything runs perfectly. Pity that opening G5 with isight is such a pain though...

cmcbridejr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
My iMac G5 is doing well. No problems since 2005.

I feel married to it because of all the proprietary software that will not work with Intel/Leopard (FCP, CS2, Ableton 5, etc - all student editions).

Though my girlfriend's MacBook is certainly more "advanced" technology, the G5 still accomplishes what I want.

However, I have been lusting for a new computer that runs Leopard, Vista, and Ubuntu all in one.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
Just sold mine a week and a half ago and it was in pretty good shape. It ran much better after a clean install of leopard. The buyer was wowed by the 20" screen. I guess they were used to their 15" PC style monitor.

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
iMac G5

I bought mine as soon as it was made available to buy in the UK. Something went wrong with it after 9 months but as it was still in warranty I got it fixed for free. Since then, I have had no problems with it. Installed 1GB of RAM and Leopard and it's stunning. Only problem I have is I would love to have iSight. Unless something happens to it, I won't get a new iMac until OS 10.6 as I have a feeling the G5 might struggle with it.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
My Rev. A is still going strong. Recently replaced the power supply but have had no other problems. I'll probably replace it by the end of the year. Time to go Intel.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
My Rev.B, purchased in mid-2005, started going haywire about two months ago. SuperDrive errors, then VRAM errors, then fan/SMU errors. AppleCare ultimately swapped it with the base model from the new Al iMacs.

I recently blogged about the very positive AppleCare experience.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The SATA controller blew up on mine (also an ALS / Rev. B 17") last year. Otherwise, it's been fine. I think speedwise, it's starting to show its age. I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade, although I'd probably have been more inclined to do so if the SATA issue hadn't happened (as it is, it'll probably be hard to re-sell an iMac that needs its drive to be in an external enclosure...).

These days, I generally surf and play on my Eee, but my iMac maintains my 2 gigs of e-mail, my iPhoto and iTunes libraries, manages all my iPods and iPhone, etc. So it still receives regular use.

zea mays

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Mine died last month. :( It was a Rev A 20" G5. It had had the logic board (bad capacitors), hard drive and power supply all replaced under warranty. I also had two wireless mice replaced as well. It died a spectacular death when the logic board went bad again. Not exactly sure what went wrong as it was ~$800.00 to replace the board and we opted to get a new intel iMac. I'm sad though. I loved that computer and would have happily kept using it. I was able to sell it for parts, though.

iSightG5

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
Bought my 20" iSight just over two years ago as my first apple and its been great! My super drive just became finicky as far as what brand dvd-r it will burn but just bought an enclosure and burner for $50 and everything is going well again. Also upgraded to Leopard a couple months back and only have issues with known Leopard problems so I can't complain about my G5!

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Rev. B user here and my iMac G5 hasn't missed a beat. And as it isn't an iSight model, I recently opened it up to get rid of some dust after there's been a little redecoration going on in the room. Still running Tiger and I don't really plan to upgrade to Leopard on this iMac. The feature I'd probably find most useful is Spaces and I've already got Desktop Manager for that.

This will probably be my main computer until 2009, when I plan to get an MBP. And this iMac will soldier on as my parent's main machine.

eji said:
I recently blogged about the very positive AppleCare experience.

Great read, thanks for that.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
And this iMac will soldier on as my parent's main machine.

I might do that... they have some pretty scary ancient computers over there. But then dealing with getting them up to speed on OS X, coming from a "I have 65 icons on my desktop and a hundred little things that pop up from the tray" Windows mentality isn't a pleasant thought....

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
The HD in my Rev. B just developed click-o-death syndrome and failed three days ago, but I haven't had any problems apart from that, so I guess that's not too bad for 2.5 years.

Saar

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
All 5 of our Rev. A's had to have the power supply and various related parts replaced at least once. One went back twice and another went back three times.

Other than that, they're doing ok. Running Leopard.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
I have a Rev. B iMac, 17" 2.0GHz and 512 RAM bought back in August 2005 I guess it's still running well, but I would love to send this across the room to replace my mom's computer and have them buy a new iMac. The iMac sure does lag compared to my MacBook though, in all aspects.

mschmitt

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
My logic board died in November, three days after Apple Care expired. It was an original iMac G5 17".

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
My Rev B is running great. I upgraded to Leopard when it came out. I did an archive and install. I'm thinking of backing everything up and doing a clean install just to get rid of old crap that I don't use anymore.

I've upgraded the RAM to 1 GB from 512 MB. I might bump up the ram a bit more in the future. Still a solid machine!

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I have a Rev. B 2.0 GHz 20 incher and it's been going nuts.

It will just randomly go on the blink and kernel panic when going to sleep or it won't back up my other external (properly formatted, of course) to my TM drive... all sorts of crazy stuff.

They replaced the RAM about two months ago, and the KPs have slowed, but they're increasing in frequency again. I'm going to have to take it back in.

Ugh...:eek:

marcg007

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Boston area
My brother and I got one for

my mom just before the switch to Intel. I knew the switch was coming but didn't want my mom to be burdened with the potential first Gen issues. Just maxed out the RAM and installed Leopard and it continues to run great as far as I know.

mergelayers

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
Virginia
The one we have at my office was purchsed immediately after they came out. At the time of purchase I upgraded to 1gb of ram. It's been running quite nicely all this time. I work for a newspaper and some of our machinery runs solely on classic applications, and occassionally things will malfunction and I have to reinstall classic. And about six months ago, it started shutting itself down multiple times per day. The fans would start raging and the machine would either shut down or go to sleep with no warning. This problem was solved by opening the tower and blowing the dust out of the fans and off of the heatsink. The heatsink was actually so caked in dust you couldn't even see it. Other than those issues, it has been a very reliable machine..being used between 12 and 16 hours per day since we bought it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.