Everyone with a multitouch trackpad should read this!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spandexman, May 1, 2010.

1. Spandexman macrumors regular

I was generally browsing last night, and I came across Better Touch Tool. It's simply brilliant! It gives you so much more control over what you can do with the trackpad! I've only played with it for a little while, so haven't fully kitted it out, but I've added 3 finger click, 4 finger click to refresh pages and open new tabs in safari, and made tapping the top/bottom left corner to change volume controls. However, there's 3/4/5 finger swipes, 3/4/5 finger clicks/taps, tiptaps, corner specific taps, and basically anything you could think of!

The other great feature is it enables the windows 7 feature of windows snapping, so you move a window to the side of the screen, and it automatically resizes it to take up half the screen. Also, if you move it to the top of the screen it maximises it the windows, which I know loads of people wish they could do!

The software is completely free, and just so useful. Makes the touchpad even better! Just so you know, I have absolutely no affiliation with the guy who writes the software, I just thought it was fantastic, so thought everyone should know about it. The maximisation alone makes it worth the downloading in my opinion! :)

2. shadowness macrumors regular

Thanks a lot for the info!!!

even though a lot of the regulars know about this for a long time, it would be helpful for all the newbies flooding in now!!

cheers!

3. Spandexman thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I read about it a few months ago here but didn't have snow leopard, so dismissed it. Rediscovered it last night, and remembered lots of people complaining about the window snap thing and lack of maximisation so thought i'd post it.

4. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into this as the one feature I miss from my eee was the ability to middle-click a link to open in a new tab. That feature alone would make this useful.

5. Satyric macrumors newbie

6. ChristWolves macrumors regular

I used it when I own my early-2008 MBP (Apple's first multitouch enabled Mac). Did you guys notice the 11-finger tap? Nice feature nevertheless.. :D

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I tried using this to configure 4 finger swipe for spaces just yesterday but it didn't work. maybe I was doing something wrong, but I trashed it.

I was trying to set it for the four finger left/right swipe but i was still getting the standard app switcher

does it not override system presets? is it just for adding additional gestures?

8. Dcuellar macrumors regular

9. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

omg i can finally use three finger click for middle click. still baffled as to why apple didn't do this by default.

10. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

wow this seems like one of the best program but hey is there something I can download to make the similar windows 7 aero gestures such as moving the bar to the top for full screen, right/left to snap onto the side screen, shake to minimize the back screens :confused: I have been a windows user n a soon 2 be a mac user and wanted some of these future as I do use them quite often

11. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Precisely what I was looking for. Thank you so much ! :cool:

12. choco macrumors member

choco

nice! thanks for the info. i had no idea about this :D

13. Dcuellar macrumors regular

I have a friend who did not buy the magic mouse because it could not be used for the expose.

This software allows you to add that function.

So just to sum things up, this is not only for your touchpad, but also for your magic mouse and keyboard shortcuts. A very nice all-in-one tool!!

14. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

most people have 5 fingers on one hand LOL :D, but isnt it kinda awkward using your 4 fingers and your thumb

15. Spandexman thread starter macrumors regular

This program does this too! go to actions at the top and turn on what you want. not sure about the shaking thing, but the aero snap and maximise are definitely there.

16. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Saw it on a different thread, a most excellent program

17. joelcsf macrumors member

18. jmdMac macrumors regular

19. Bisz macrumors regular

20. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'm having an issue with BetterTouchTool. I set four finger swipe left for Ctrl+back arrow to work with Spaces and go to the left space, and use four finger swipe right for Ctrl+forward arrow to go to the right space.

But when I do the four finger swipe right, in addition to going to the next space over I also get the application switcher coming up. It's odd because four finger swipe left does not bring up the app switcher.

Also, is there a way to turn off the "cursor moving directly to default dialog box button" behavior? I think this is from using "enable access for assistive devices" in Universal Access which is required for global shortcuts in this program.

21. Bisz macrumors regular

Go to Trackpad in System Preferences and deactivate Four Finger Swipes.

22. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I'm a strong advocate for BetterTouchTool. I can't recommend it enough. I really helps increase productivity so much that when it crashes (which is rare), my Mac just doesn't feel right anymore. It makes my Mac truly customized for me.

23. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

This...IS THE GREATEST THING EVER. EVER. OP. I love you.

24. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

That fixed it, thanks

25. Bisz macrumors regular

I'm still deciding between BTT and sex, but yeah, its pretty damned fantastic.