Everyone with Slow Computers About to Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Erasmus, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

So, right now, the only thing holding me back from buying a new MBP is the fact I've got tests for Uni next week. I figure there must be a few other people out there like me with horribly slow computers that can't yet upgrade just now for whatever reason.

So, my question is this. What annoys you the most about your slow computer?

For me, it's probably opening up large PDF documents downloaded off the net. Any pictures, and its quite simply painful waiting for it to load. This includes lecture notes downloaded from Uni, which is particularly annoying.

Another thing is my computer's inability to do much when I'm importing a CD into iTunes. Playing one song while importing another (not both off the one CD) pretty much completely ties up the whole computer, making even word processing (Appleworks) or surfing the net quite simply painful.

So, anyone else? This is, I admit, a semi bitch session after trying to open some pdfs, but I'm hoping a good thread will emerge from the pain.

2. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

You should turn off the 'play while importing' feature. This is a bad thing, as your computer is trying to read and encode from CD at the same time. You will have less chances of a bad CD rip if you let the ripping do its own thing, and worry about playing the music later.

3. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

My biggest issue with my current computer, which isn't an :apple: is that it's slow when multitasking, and firefox likes to slow down a lot. Of course, PDFs are always a bitch and I just HATE them.

Getting a MBP in a few weeks :)

I'd really love to get a octo-core Mac Pro, but money is an issue, since I must have a laptop.

4. Erasmus thread starter macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I know, and I have, and I don't, which is why I said "not off the same CD". Importing songs uses all of the CPU, which sucks. I imagine it would only use 10% or so of a 2.4 GHz C2D...

Aea: What computer are you running atm? And yes, pdfs are evil.

As is DV video. It could be just me, but is not the quality of DV video absolutely abysmal, while still taking up huge amounts of space?

5. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Second-Generation Centrino based laptop. The specs aren't all that bad, but I'm still disappointed in the general slowness of windows, especially with Photoshop and Firefox. Battery life is rather nice for an older laptop though :)