Everyone's Opinion Welcome *ssd*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EddieMac, Aug 2, 2010.

  1. EddieMac macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2010
    #1
    I have a 2010, 13' MBP 4gb ram 250gb hdd 2.4ghz. I am thinking of upgrading the hdd into a ssd but they are so expensive and lack the storage that regular 2.5' sata drives have. Should I:

    A) wait b/c prices may go down
    B) buy now
    C) (Your Opinion)
     
  2. aohus macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2010
    Location:
    sky
    #2
    quit making threads wtf.

    Personally i will wait until SSD prices drop further, and get a killer OCZ ssd during holiday season.

    FYI: SSD is not meant for storage. 80GB of SSD would be fine imo.

    btw, how much dough are you willing to spend?
     
  3. circularforward macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2010
    #3
    I know it's hard, but try to wait until the next generation SSDs come out, like the intel G3. They should further drop in prices, and you may be able to get good holiday deals as mentioned above. Another option is the momentus xt hybrid. If you really want one, get a cheap optibay and install a small ssd.
     
  4. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #4
    At this point, you can't have both capacity and low price.

    So if you are on a tight budget, you should not consider an SSD unless you really want to compromise on capacity. At the same time, if you want capacity you should be prepared to lighten the wallet.

    By saying SSDs are "so expensive", I would say look elsewhere. The new Seagate Momentus XT is a good alternative that offers great performance and a easier to manage price.
     
  5. magamo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    #5
    The capacity of SSDs is steadily improving while their prices are getting lower. So if you think they're too expensive and too small now, it might be a good idea to wait a little while. It all depends on your need and budget.

    When I bought one, it cost $800 and change for 160GB. But the capacity was more than enough for my laptop use. I knew it was kind of silly to buy such an expensive toy, especially when everyone knew the price would go down. But I happened to have some money to burn, and it was worth it. The price and capacity are getting less and less ridiculous. So whether now is the time to buy is up to you.
     
  6. alectheking macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2010
    #6
    wait for intel g3...out later this year. i'm running the same setup as you and patiently waiting.
     
  7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

    thejadedmonkey

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Location:
    Pa

Share This Page