Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today held the first event of 2024, debuting new iPad Air and iPad Pro models and accompanying accessories. While the event was faster than normal and took 40 minutes, we've condensed it down even further for those who want a quick overview of everything that was announced.

We've also got a full recap of all of the coverage that we did today for those who want a deeper dive into what's new.
iPad Pro

iPad Air

Magic Keyboard

Apple Pencil

Other Announcements

The iPad Air and iPad Pro models are can be ordered as of today, with deliveries set to begin on Wednesday, May 15. Pricing on the iPad Air starts at $599 and pricing on the iPad Pro starts at $999.

Article Link: Everything Announced at Today's Apple Event

scottylans

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
I've just realised the new iPad air models don't seem to support a cheap keyboard anymore? The old folio is a lovely keyboard protects the iPad and is only expensive.... The new iPad air only supports the very very very expensive magic keyboard? No new folio?

Ugh

Reactions: mrkellar

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
I don't need to upgrade my iPad Pro 12.9 (though I'm tempted), but I must admit this is an excellent time to come into the iPad Ecosystem.

As it was the case since M1, anyone that gets one (and likes iPadOS) will not have to replace it for a decade (save for mishaps).

The hardware upgrades are far from minor and the new MK is nice.

Now, fingers crossed WWDC shows Apple bringing out more OS POWER for this sexy hot-rod.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I owned the 11 inch iPad Pro with the M1, but the Wi-Fi and the Bluetooth were problematic. Did not seem backward-compatible. Did anyone else have this kind of problem?

Ghengis LeMond

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2023
So Apple is still releasing new M2 products. I’ve not heard news on this recently so forgive me if I’ve missed something on it. But - any fixes for the GoFetch vulnerability? Logically, only the M4s can be patched, but it'd reduce performance considerably

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
The iPad Pros are getting seriously expensive... but they sure are amazing devices. The new screens, M4 and the updated Magic Keyboard are really nice upgrades. If you're an artist, or need the power of M4 for your work... or just really really want that inky OLED screen... then they are without a doubt amazing devices.

If you just want an iPad.. the Standard, Mini and Air are great tablets... with the Air and Standard accommodating the keyboards Apple offers. The Air is by far the best value proposition for a versatile iPad. It's powerful, has a big screen, and can be turned into a little (if somewhat restricted) laptop style device via the (admittedly expensive) Magic Keyboard folio. The standard iPad is a good device if you just want a medium sized tablet and despite the limitation of the screen tech is a decent all round tablet at its new lower price. But id say not worth it adding in a keyboard, in that case the Air is way better if your budget can stretch. That the Air comes in both sizes is a huge bonus now.

The underrated star is the show has to be the iPad mini. As a portable tablet for consumption of audio/video and eBooks... it's just such a good device and it looks and feels super premium.. and with A15 is no slouch by any means.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I've just realised the new iPad air models don't seem to support a cheap keyboard anymore? The old folio is a lovely keyboard protects the iPad and is only expensive.... The new iPad air only supports the very very very expensive magic keyboard? No new folio?

Ugh
I noticed this too.. will be interesting to see anyone trying an old folio with new iPad Air.

I suspect Apple have wanted to get rid of this for a long time...

Reactions: scottylans

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
I'll definitely wait for WWDC to see what iPadOS has to bring to the table. Not interested in an iPad Pro with crippled OS.

Just disappointed the reduced bezels didn't turn true and for the missing camera at the back. Curious how Apple will explain this decision.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
There are tons of compatible third-party Bluetooth keyboards starting from $20 (including good ones!), though I haven’t searched for folio-style ones in particular.

Reactions: wbeasley

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I'll definitely wait for WWDC to see what iPadOS has to bring to the table. Not interested in an iPad Pro with crippled OS.

Just disappointed the reduced bezels didn't turn true and for the missing camera at the back. Curious how Apple will explain this decision.
I suspect they will really want to deliver something big for the iPad Pros come WWDC. I mean the cost of the device and the fact they have made it more Mac-Like suggests we will either get a more advanced desktop mode for it. along the lines of Samsung DeX... or maybe a Mac OS lite.. Im not sure... but what is certain, is that in its current form, iPad OS is crippling some seriously good hardware on iPads higher end.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
IPads are going in Europe now with just eSIM's too. I'll bet, they will sell less products...
Yeah, that bothers me the most. For 250 €, I’d at least like to have a physical SIM card slot.

octopi

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2014
UK
"And to tell you more, here's another identical robot."

When Apple says "option", translate to an extra billion quid please.

• Love
Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.