Everything crashing in leopard when connected to office network.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Attonine, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Attonine macrumors 6502a

I've just connected to my office network for the first time since upgrading to leopard, and what a nightmare. Everything crashes. Safari, Skype, Adium, Dashboard. I keep getting popups for me to sign my widgets into keychain with my network password, only to be told my username and password are wrong. Safari opens for a few seconds then unexpectadly quits, the same with skype and adium. I can't send a report to apple. If I pull the ethernet cable out Safari will open with the no connection message, but stay open, as will skype and adium. And my widgets will sort themselves out in dashboard.

All my settings are untouched. My colleagues tiger machine still works OK. Everything is OK using my home dial-up connection, and no problems at my parents house with their DSL connection shar4ed via airport from their iMac. The office network connection has let me update some apps, lastfm is one that definitely worked.

What could possibly be happening?

2. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

I had the exact same problem in my office yesterday. It looks like it had something to do with the proxy configuration. I was trying to connect via our Microsoft ISA server. It worked, at least for a while, and then the exact same problem you're describing started to happen. I switched to pointing to a different proxy server (Bluecoat) and the problem went away. Unfortunately our Bluecoat proxy only handles HTTP/HTTPS traffic, while ISA lets you proxy anything you want (if you have the rights). I run the ISA box, and I know I have the rights. Whatever it was about the connection to ISA and my Macbook shall remain a mystery, because I gave up on trying to figure it out.

3. Attonine thread starter macrumors 6502a

I checked with the IT dept and we have ISA 2004 proxy, so your theory may be correct. I do not have another proxy to try. The Admin has no idea why I am having this problem either, he just suggested looking around for some setting to switch off. I've looked, but this is a Mac, it has OS X, there just aren't the number of settings to switch off that a windows machine has!