Everything else is being updated, but what about the iPod app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tres, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Tres macrumors regular

I love my iPhone and I'm looking forward to the 3.0 update, but the iPod app, one of the most integral parts of the iPhone/iPod touch, really isn't seeing much in the way of an update.

I'm a heavy playlist user and I have playlists that have hundreds of songs, depending on my mood I'll choose a song from inside a playlist of my choice and then leave that playlist shuffling. The problem is that with so many songs inside a playlist it's a real pain to find what I'm looking for sometimes.

I was initially excited to see spotlight being integrated into the iPod app until I tried out 3.0 on a developer friend's iPod touch and found out that you could not search while inside a playlist. This means that even if you search for a song, find it and start playing, the next song will be randomly chosen from your entire library as opposed to just the playlist you're in.

In addition to this, why have we not seen playlist creation/editing added yet? It doesn't seem like it would be so hard to integrate and it's because this feature is lacking that the mobile iTunes app is so useless to me. If I download a song while on the go, I can't add it into a playlist.

It's a little bit disappointing to be honest. Overall I'm really looking forward to 3.0, but surely something should be done to bring more advanced features to the iPod app?

2. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

You can make and edit on the go playlists and genius playlists.

3. Tres thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but not pre-existing playlists that are created in iTunes. I rarely want to make a whole new playlist, I just want to add to the ones I've already made.

4. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I'd like to see playlist-specific Cover Flow too.

5. Tres thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed, as it is now if I start playing a song using cover flow it kicks me out of my playlist.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

this is a pretty valid point. we've seen updates across the board - except for the iPod app!

very weird. although, if the new iPhone DOES come out... i'm sure the extra processing power/overall speed - will help the iPod app a TON

7. sparkyms macrumors 65816

We have seen updates to the iPod app, just nothing MASSIVE.
    We have shake to shuffle, A2DP is arguably an iPod feature, apparently also when you're in a playlist and say 50 songs in and hit back, it goes to the song location within that playlist rather than to the top.

There could be more come final release, if it doesn't interest you then well... too bad?

8. Pooshka macrumors 65816

My biggest gripe about the iPod app is that at this point there is still NO scrolling song titles!!!!!!!! W!!!! T!!!!! F!!!!!! :mad:

9. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I just wish you could set the iPhone's alarm clock to play songs to wake you up. (my iPod mini does this) Specifically I wish I could get it set to play one specific song as the alarm :(

10. Tres thread starter macrumors regular

You could make a ringtone out of that song, that's what I did. I agree that it's not ideal though.

11. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I want the iPod.app to be able to play SHOUTcast streams. Sure there are plenty of App Store options, but I can't play a stream then go into a different app with those. I'd love to listen to SHOUTcast in the background.

12. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

full controls on widescreen mode. why not?
    get lyrics on the fly...
    running mode with speech over

13. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

Even though it seems like some very simple updates would greatly improve the iPod app, my guess would be similar to what we've heard before.... that Apple has a "list" of improvements to do, and can only do so many by the next release. So the iPod updates may be simple, but not as "important."

14. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

15. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

That's what I do aswell. Pretty simple to do

16. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah you shouldn't have to go and create an mp4... ha but i still like the 'Marimba' ringtone the best. i just keep coming back to it :)

17. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

What about editing song information on iPhone? I have a lot of my songs that have multiple artists on them and I only have one artist listed. It'd be nice if I can edit that information and have it sync back to iTunes.

18. efice32 macrumors 6502

there's a new iPod Library Access API in the 3.0 SDK so I'd expect to see some 3rd party apps that add this functionality...if Apple doesn't do it themselves

19. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

But the alarm has to be open to go off since there still are no background processes. Kind of worthless.

20. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

I agree. Time for something new Apple. I mean jeez your original marketing was mainly the iPod. Don't let that get left in the dust just cause you have a "PhonePod" now. lol

21. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

Can you really expect a recently added feature to be perfect right away?

The mobile iTunes app is a mobile iTunes Store app, it doesn't include management. No iPod allows for this...

22. Tres thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not expecting the iTunes app to do this, but I do think the iPod app should be able to do this. No other iPod can do it because a click wheel isn't really a very productive input device, a large touch screen display is.

23. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

How about updating on the phone over wifi/EDGE/3G/whatever rather then hook up to computer etc etc....this may not be ideal specificly for the firmware size but they could use a subversion type of update rather then a whole firmware.

24. zookster macrumors member

Same album cover all over the Album Flow

I don't know about everybody else, but now I see many of my Album Covers repeating over and over in the Album Flow under 3.0. Anybody else have this?

John