Everything in slow motion - Going insane!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 390521, Oct 12, 2010.

1. 390521 macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

So here's the deal. I'm in Mac OS X and its been fine for few years now, but all of a sudden a whole heap of tasks I do all the time go in super slow motion. For example, if I click and drag the scrollbar in firefox, it will take a good 10 seconds to get where I dragged it moving extremely slowly. If I drag it down then up, it will go all the way down very slowly, then all the way back up very slowly so I'm forced to wait for all of the slowness to finish and it's VERY FRUSTRATING!

The same thing has happened several times just resizing a window. Also, in GarageBand, I get the exact same dragging slow motion trying to move notes around on a midi track. It's extremely slow, but waits to finish before I can do anything else.

To make things even more confusing, I had Safari and Firefox open on my screen at the same time, dragged the scroll bar in firefox, then clicked around in safari, and all of the clicks or buttons I pressed happened in sequence as if everything was in a queue waiting its turn in SUPER SLOW MO!

I don't know if my computer is just dying or if there's some underlying memory issue. It's getting to the point where I can't enjoy a lot of things I like to do so it would be GREATLY appreciated if somebody knew what to do about this.

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Try opening up Activity Monitor and viewing your used RAM and CPU usage while doing these tasks. Also check if any other activity is hogging a lot of these resources as that could be the cause of the slowdown.