Everything is quitting unexpectedly after update...PLEASE HELP.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roastee, Jun 29, 2010.

1. roastee macrumors newbie

Hey Everybody,

This is my first time posting here, and I don't really like signing up to forums but this is a crisis. My problem is, I cannot open any application whatsoever. I can only open up Firefox, but everything else just jumps around the dock for a second and the error message "the application ______ quit unexpectedly". So if you try to open it again, it just bounces around the dock and the error message appears again. I've uninstalled the apps, and installed them again...NOTHING.

This only started happening after I updated to the Security Update 2010-004 (1.0). I know for sure that's the culprit, but I don't know what to do. It's putting me through so much stress, I almost feel like crying. The worst part is, when I click system update, the system update itself jumps around the dock and disappears to only have that "the application _____ quit unexpectedly".

SO PLEASE...if anybody can help me, or if there's any info I have to post, PLEASE just help me.

THANK YOU.

2. shwc macrumors regular

Which mac do you have?
    How much free space on your hard drive do you have?
    How much RAM do you have?
    Have you installed any 3rd party hacks (themes etc.)
    What OS were you on prior to update?
    Do you have a backup of your hard drive (e.g. via time machine)?

If you have a back up I suggest restoring from your backup. Restore to prior to your installing the update. After restoring, Launch disk utility and run repair disk permissions. Get rid of any 3rd party hacks.

Reinstall update.

3. roastee thread starter macrumors newbie

oh sorry...I'm a noobie to all this info, since I've never had to resort using it.

I have an Intel MacBook, running Mac OS X Version 10.5.8. Also, I have no idea how to use Time Machine, but would that be the answer to this problem? I tried to use it and it asks something about an Airport Utility. Sorry if I sound silly, but like I said, I'm just a casual computer user. I've also repaired disk permissions, and that didn't do anything.

4. roastee thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, I have 2GB of RAM and 55 GB of free space on my hard drive. I did not download any 3rd Party hacks or anything. This only started when I downloaded that security update which I regret heavily on doing now. All my apps except Firefox fail to launch. Please, I sound desperate because I am desperate, please if anybody could help me with an informative post, I would be eternally grateful.

5. osiris24x macrumors member

osiris24x

The first thing I would try is rebooting into Safe mode (reboot and hold down shift key after the boot chime) and see if Apple Software Update offers any updates to install. Then reboot into normal mode and see if the problem persists.

Otherwise I'd just put the OS installer disk in and tell it to archive and install. This will leave your data untouched but hopefully repair the OS so your apps launch again.