Everything is suddenly gone!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by evanjwendell, Dec 28, 2011.

1. evanjwendell macrumors newbie

Not too long ago, a whole bunch of stuff disappeared from my computer. Even things like system preferences. My whole applications folder is just gone. I've checked the trash and it wasn't in there. I've re-downloaded several things already, in fact, it's even deleted the folders for the applications in application support. Could this be caused by a virus or anything else? I'd appreciate it if you let me know.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Virus, no as no viruses exist for OSX. Malware - possible but unlikely especially if you have not installed any new software downloaded.

Did you run some diagnostics on your hard drive - it could be failing. Also do you have any back ups?

3. simsaladimbamba

No.
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

Anyway, what Mac OS X version do you use and do you still have the restore media (grey DVDs or white USB flash memory thumb drive)?
    Do other people have access to the Mac?

4. evanjwendell thread starter macrumors newbie

Well.... that's the thing, I have actually downloaded and installed a game recently... and used my admin password... either way, I do have a backup using time machine, so I've restored my library, but I can't actually restore the applications. It just doesn't actually have them in time machine. I'm running on Mac OS X 10.6.8, and no, nobody but my family have access to the computer.

5. simsaladimbamba

What game, and how did you download it?
    And "nobody" is not the same as "some". Do your family members use your account or do they use another account? Are they proficient enough to not delete something?
    And are the applications gone from the actual APPLICATIONS folder (Finder > CMD+SHIFT+A)?

6. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

Unless your hard drive is falling apart, it is almost inconceivable to me that all your applications and System Preferences could simply be deleted without you even knowing it.

I don't know if you can do it in your current state, but can you create a new user and see if things are still missing from the new account's "point of view"? It seems more likely that your stuff is still there, and maybe some odd conflict or glitch is impairing your ability to see it.

Why don't you have your applications backed up in Time Machine?

7. evanjwendell thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure they're gone, because when I click on them to open in the dock, a question mark appears over them. I honestly don't know why the applications aren't backed up. It's just faded out and I can't click on it in the finder window (in time machine).

8. evanjwendell thread starter macrumors newbie

ALRIGHT! I think I've got it... unfortunately, ill have to reinstall some things, but I actually had to go to the applications folder in a different weird 'side route' in the finder in time machine, so I've got most of them back now. I'm really not sure what happened though.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Were the apps gone from your hard drive or gone from your dock?

Glad that you got everything back though