Everything I've purchased in the last month is gone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrm27, Jan 3, 2011.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

So, I guess the title explains it all... Everything I have purchased since the middle of December is gone from my phone. I've bought a few albums and movies from my phone, but after a sync this afternoon they are all gone. Is there any way to get them back?

2. icewing macrumors 6502

I believe you "should" be able to re-download them for free if you're signed into the same account. Try to buy something you already own, and it should tell you that you already own it and ask if you want to re-download it.

Of course, I may be wrong, so I suggest you do it with a .99 app first... :D

3. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Unfortunately, iTunes does not permit you to re-download any songs that you have purchased.

Did you back-up your songs on a portable HD?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Syncing your iPhone can't delete items. Are you sure it's not on iTunes somewhere?

The process of Syncing should copy all new items from your iPhone into you iTunes, and then copy those that you wish back.

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Wife has had this happen before.

She emails apple support with this information, and each time they verify she bought it and then allow her to redownload each item again for free.

I suggest that when you go to redownload them...do it from within iTunes. Then sync it to your phone.

6. danny_w, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

danny_w macrumors 601

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that syncing CAN delete items from yur iPhone in certain situations. If you delete items from iTunes that are on the iPhone and then sync then yes, the items will be deleted from the iphone also. So consider:

1. Purchase items on iPhone
    2. Sync
    2a. New (purchased) items are copied to iTunes
    3. Remove iPhone from computer
    4. Delete the added (purchased) items from iTunes
    5. Sync
    5a. Purchased items are deleted from iPhone

Could this be what the OP did?

EDIT: Note that the opposite is NOT true. You can delete all of the items on the iPhone and as long as they are still in iTunes they will be copied back to the iPhone on the next sync. If you sync your iPhone to iTunes, NEVER delete anything from iTunes that you want to keep on your iPhone. If you do it will be deleted from the iPhone on the next sync. This of course assumes that you are doing the default automatic sync and not manually managing your music.

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Its simple. We don't need all of these side discussions not about the OP.

Just email Apple support, tell them your issues. They'll set up iTunes to re-download your items again for you.

Done.

8. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all. Yep, I thinkt he problem might have been that the original sync (that was transferring purchases) was interrupted, and that just screwed everything up. I'll try and find a support email for itunes! Thanks guys.