Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmm333

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
Exactly.

Stop with that TouchID in the power button nonsense already!

First, like you said, the vast majority of people wouldn't be able to access it.
Second, it would be a nice way to tell to all the left-handers to go f*** themselves. Not everybody is right-handed, so the only way to get access to TouchID would be via the left index, assuming you have long enough fingers (but forget the Max sizes).

No, really, bringing back the TouchID in the iPhone would be the dumbest idea of all time (unless they manage to come up with an under-the-screen efficient solution). The way to go is, like they did here, to maximize performance and security of the FaceID system. Not to go back.
But why not both? Cases can have a cutout for the power button and left hand users can register their left index fingers instead. It’s a better solution than having Face ID fail and ask for your passcode. Though I suppose an under screen version would be the best solution.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
Cases could simply be made to accommodate Touch ID just like they do with mute switch.

Just because you're left handed doesn't mean you can't use your right hand to unlock the device. It's not like right handed people can't use the volume buttons.

I'm actually indifferent to this but some of the reasons provided not to do it are pretty easy to work around.

Yes, I could. It would't be or feel natural tho. Like you said, it's a work around, not a solution.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
But why not both? Cases can have a cutout for the power button and left hand users can register their left index fingers instead. It’s a better solution than having Face ID fail and ask for your passcode. Though I suppose an under screen version would be the best solution.
Because Apple is betting in its FaceID tech and the only flaw is a temporary one while having to wear a mask is a necessity. In the other hand, TouchID has more limitations like the ones I listed.
And do you really see Apple providing TWO kinda redundant solutions?

johns000

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2022
Exactly.

Stop with that TouchID in the power button nonsense already!

First, like you said, the vast majority of people wouldn't be able to access it.
Second, it would be a nice way to tell to all the left-handers to go f*** themselves. Not everybody is right-handed, so the only way to get access to TouchID would be via the left index, assuming you have long enough fingers (but forget the Max sizes).

No, really, bringing back the TouchID in the iPhone would be the dumbest idea of all time (unless they manage to come up with an under-the-screen efficient solution). The way to go is, like they did here, to maximize performance and security of the FaceID system. Not to go back.

Hold your phone in your left hand, now hold your phone in your right hand. Either way, you have fingertips on the power button side (unless you have literal baby hands).

Reactions: MrTangent

smithdr

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2021
Right…..So Apple should just stop altogether of trying to make/adjust Face ID to be more convenient for the user in a global crisis. Got it.
No. I don't get it. Looks like you have to go though a bunch of gyrations to set-up FaceID to work with a mask. Then, if you have a mask on, it's not a secure as if if you are scanning the entire face. From the description in the article it appears that you have to hold the phone a certain way if you want it scan just your eyes.

Purchased my wife an iPhone 13. FaceID does not work reliably for her so she must resort to the PITA of entering a the passcode. All of this could be avoided if Apple just added a secondary secure way of opening the phone--Apple Watch is not an option for her.

The sad thing is, Apple has the technology to accomplish a secure secondary way of being able to unlock the phone. They have implemented it on a iPad--TouchID on the power button. Not sure why they resist putting this same technology in their iPhone.

I think what Apple has done with FaceID is a Charlie Foxtrot.

Don

smithdr

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2021
Except the vast majority of people keep their phones in a case and last I checked, most cases don't have an open slot for a power button.
Mine does. But then again it not one of those cheap cases from Amazon where all they care about is the OD of the phone.

kmm333

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
Because Apple is betting in its FaceID tech and the only flaw is a temporary one while having to wear a mask is a necessity. In the other hand, TouchID has more limitations like the ones I listed.
And do you really see Apple providing TWO kinda redundant solutions?
Why did they bother engineering Touch ID in the power button for iPad? Ultimately, both authentication methods have their pros and cons, so why not have both and make everyone happy? Apple finally started listening to consumers with the MacBook Pro and they should here too. Whether they actually will is another story, but I for one am hoping for it.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
By the time Face ID with a mask rolls out the Omicron wave will have subsided and most mask mandates will have been lifted.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2021
By the time Face ID with a mask rolls out the Omicron wave will have subsided and most mask mandates will have been lifted.
One can hope. Most likely there will be another be another mutation that will go into the Greek alphabet and require
That’s assuming a new, more virulent/contagious variant isn’t on the horizon.

I was going to say that. But deleted my post because I was concerned that I might end up getting censored by MR.

Marie.D

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2020
This is such a great update. It fixes a lot of the annoyances I had before.

- no more fiddling in settings to adjust the magic keyboard brightness.
- I can actually put some context with some password (like security questions or email used) and it’s making my migration from 1Password come faster. I hope they expand it into a full app in iOS 16.
- the “Running your automation“ personally ruined a lot of shortcuts for me, I didn’t need to be double notified when my power goes down a certain threshold and I’m thrilled it’s been finally fixed.
- EU covid vaccination certificate support is long overdue but this is great and I’ll take it. I don’t want to rely on 3rd parties to generate a pkpass with my sensitive information and storing the pdf was just clunky, even with a shortcut.

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
Keychain is getting more and more functional! That's fantastic. I'm thinking of dropping my LastPass subscription this year, as I believe Apple is making its one better and better.
Yes, I use it so often. The option of suggesting strong password is good, but I like it to allow custom passcode rules. Now, most of the websites or office systems require passcode with special characters, I also encountered a system finding 20 char passcode suggested by apple is too long.

Reactions: Konigi and 7thson

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
We’ve come such a long way from the days of keeping our my passwords on a piece of paper. That is if you didn’t just reuse the same password for every login. However, Keychain hasn‘t been keeping up with the pack. Which has led us to 3rd party alternatives, and much confusion about why Apple has treated Keychain as the ugly stepchild. I rarely use the Keychain suggested password generator because it frequently gets rejected by the website criteria, and it’s honestly not that hard to come up an XKCD style password that’s memorable and secure.

withitnow

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
Kind of funny that Apple just goes ahead and adds support for the vaccination certificate in the Wallet App while the developers of the German CovPass App keep saying that they are not adding Wallet support over "privacy concerns"
Hey

Did not know this. Strange they cite privacy concerns when the whole idea of a vaccine passport is to share and show people/businesses etc.

In the UK have been able to add our covid passport directly to wallet right in the NHS Covid-19 app. This worked just like adding a pass from an app etc rather than having to be an Apple side of things to add it from the app.

withitnow

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
Take a look at strongbox. Or bitwarden.

Well, sorry if my use of English offended you. Be careful though, it’s against the rules to critique one’s language. It’s a common language spoken by many non native speakers.
He he. I think he was implying it should be bear not bare. And was jovial I’m sure. Let’s all be nice here. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.