Everything that is wrong with America. The class action lawsuit.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supremeMilo, Jun 30, 2010.

1. supremeMilo macrumors member

2. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

this is the best lawsuit ever. hope theres millions more like it

APPLE IS DEAD

3. supremeMilo thread starter macrumors member

Apple has $40 Billion in cash. They could give almost every single person in the US a free iPhone and not be dead.

4. ryuuzaki macrumors member

ryuuzaki

It'll get thrown out in court.

Defect means it doesn't work, period.

You hold the phone in infinite possible ways and it will not work, or the phone just doesn't maintain signal at all.

They need to prove this.

Technology has its inconveniences, and when you buy a product thats why you are able to return a product. If it doesn't meet your standards, you can return it.

Apple in no way misled its consumers when they bought this product.

Also, they need to prove that every phone ever produced is facing the issues they described. And from the talk on forums here, not everyone is facing an antenna issue. Thus, not everyone everywhere else isn't facing issues either.

5. chris.robison macrumors regular

I am doubting this is going anywhere. There is just too much we don't know... Also, what he said. ^^^

Plus, you can still return it. WTF. I hate this suing BS, so pathetic. :(

6. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

That doesn't really matter, going to court is deffinatly bad publicity. No one likes bad publicity, so if this in some way forces apple to come up with a real fix, instead of just telling us to hold it differently or to buy a bumper, then whatever, I'm all for it. What's it matter to any of us who sues apple and for what?

7. supremeMilo thread starter macrumors member

I just want to know why people don't just return the phone if they don't like it.

I wish the iPhone did all kinds of **** that Apple could implement in two seconds but I am not going to go about suing them.

And I laugh about the part in the suit where it says in the commercials the phone is held a certain way... In the commercials they are on facetime which requires wifi.

8. ryuuzaki macrumors member

ryuuzaki

You're right, it doesn't. You make a valid point.

9. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Unless in the commercial it shows full bars when holding it the wrong way. You'll still see. The cellular signal when on wifi. I've only seen the commercial once, and didn't think about looking for it, so I don't know if it's there, just saying.

10. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

Well, not really. The cost to manufacture the iPhone 4 16G is ~$187 * 308 million means they could for about 70-75% of the population :D

11. kuaiyouming, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  12. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

No, they could probably do 100%. Don't forget about the huge volume discount they'd get. :)

13. supremeMilo thread starter macrumors member

In some places I get full bars with the deathgrip...

If you order 300million you get a discount :-D

14. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I love Apple and the iPhone 4 but I am rather interested in this case (and the others it will spawn).

The 'bumper' IMO proves that Apple knew in advance about the problems. The fact that the bumper so closely mimicks the design of the original phone and isn't so much of a case as it is a 'fix' just drives home that they knew they had a problem.

Other than fix the antenna issue, what does the bumper do? Cover the front? No. Cover the back? No. It has stainless steel buttons that mimick the original buttons itself for crying out loud. ALL it does is provide a coating to the steel which wraps around the antenna and allows signal.

Apple knew there was a problem, didn't care, sold their product anyway.

I doubt anything will come of this lawsuit but even as a fanboy I can't say that it is unfounded. There were definitely deceptive practices at play and that saddens me, even for a company (that, like every other company) is just looking to make a buck. I expected more from Apple. :(

15. Bluehinder macrumors member

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Cause there is a 10% restocking and you have to pay the one month service

17. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

That's true. I concede the point. :)

18. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

19. supremeMilo thread starter macrumors member

You used the service, and I don't the the restocking fee applies at Apple or AT&T.

20. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

No idea what the second part means and even if you had the phone for a day you have to pay the service fee.

21. supremeMilo thread starter macrumors member

AT&T prorates service. If you used it for a day you pay for a day...

22. mrFinder macrumors member

Finally! Apple and AT&T deserve this. I'm so happy this is happening. There needs to be many many more of these. I hope they get sued for everything they've got (not gonna happen i know). This is what they get for denying the issues.

23. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

There is definitely a 10% restocking fee.

24. pnt7 macrumors newbie

While I see what you're saying, its not like any of the other class action attempts have really proven successful. I mean, Apple said the 3G got 2x the data speed, class action attempt. The 3GS 2X as fast claim, lawsuit attempt. Hell, people even tried a class action lawsuit against Apple because their unbricking hack didn't bricked the iphone after an OS update.

Apple's been weathering lawsuits for quite some time, I dont think this one is really going to keep them up at night.

25. Stiss macrumors 6502a

I live in the UK so I know nada about how anything like this works?

The 'plaintiffs', can they come away with money after this and if so how much?
    What would then happen to Apple & AT&T?

If the court decides theres nothing wrong with it could Apple turn around and sue the plaintiffs?

Please explain to a dumb Englishman.