Everything was deleted....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sugar2sweet, Sep 21, 2009.

1. sugar2sweet macrumors newbie

Howdy everyone. I've been a Mac user for about 2 years and until now, I've been completely satisfied. I usually leave my computer on overnight and turn the monitor off, or I might put it in Sleep mode or power it off. This morning, I woke up and everything was fine - I turned the computer off and went to take care of my business.

Well well well... I returned home and booted up the Mac and to my fncking surprise - nothing was there. The desktop was blank, my background had been reset and any sort of personal preferences related to my account was wiped (i.e. mouse && keyboard settings, dashboard, etc). My account's library folder appeared to have been reset. In a nutshell, it looked like my Mac had been reset to factory settings or something. Any thing that I had saved under my User Folder was GONE; even though it was there earlier this morning.

The super mysterious thing is.... my iTunes music folder and Pictures folder was untouched. Every last song and every last photo is there. My "Sites" folder was untouched as well. My Windows Bootcamp partition was untouched, my applications folder was also untouched...

So just to make sure we have this straight: only my Library, Desktop, personal preferences and a few folders that I had sitting in my Username folder were gone. I thought that the disk might've been corrupted somehow, so I've been contemplating entering the Startup disk and doing a Disk Repair and Permissions repair..
    I also thought that Mac might have been hiding my files from me because of faulty permissions, but then I noticed that my amount of freespace had increased (indicating that some stuff had been deleted). No one else has access to my machine.. so I doubt foul-play.

I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.1...
    I have already looked at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1876?viewlocale=en_US and it wasn't much help as I haven't renamed anything.

I'm really at the end of my rope here... Mac has totally ****ed me over... =(
    If there isn't anything you guys can do, are there any good data recovery programs out there?

Rhonda B

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. sugar2sweet thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, you see that would be helpful if:
    • I had enabled time machine.
    • If I had a place to store the backups.

And no sir, Mitthrawnuruodo. I turned it off this morning, booted it up when I came home and nada. (I included that link in my post, btw)

4. devburke Guest

I have no idea. And I know this won’t help you for this case, but you really should use Time Machine, as something like this shows you. Pick up a sizable external HD for ~$80, plug it in, let it do its first backup overnight, and then you never have to think about it again until you need it. It took my HD crashing for me to finally upgrade to Leopard (this was a couple of years ago) and get a Time Machine drive. It sucks to learn the hard way, but it’s the most effective way I guess.