Everything was going fine and then... iTunes 8.1

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ojwk, Mar 14, 2009.

1. ojwk macrumors regular

ojwk

I updated to iTunes 8.1 on Thursday night and looked forward to trying out the new features. What it concealed however, was a whole host of problems that would plague me for the next two days.

After updating iTunes it crashes every time I try to run it. After clicking report the problem seems to be:

Code:
    Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000076ff040
    I gave up trying to resolve this after a few hours (because Google hasn't told me how) and set about restoring my previous incarnation of iTunes.

After locating a copy of 8.02 (my Time Machine is disabled atm) and installing it I was told that it couldn't open my iTunes library for it was created by a newer version of Windows. I then option clicked the iTunes icon and loaded up a previous library, which incidentally only seemed a few hours old.

Running 8.02 worked fine for the few hours it was good for. I turn the computer on today and for some reason iTunes cannot open the library because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. I option click again to reveal that my choices of previous libraries now range from one created yesterday to one created over a year ago. Selecting yesterday's library yields nothing as it was apparently created with a newer version of iTunes.

As far as I can see there are two solutions:
    1. Fix iTunes 8.1
    2. Create a new library for 8.02 and drag/drop the iTunes music folder in there

Obviously option 1 is a much more sustainable option, I want to be able to upgrade my iTunes in the future - i'm not going to want to be stuck on 8.02 for ever.

Option 2 however is probably a better short term solution - I need to sync my iPhone for iCal synchronisation etc..

Any suggestions?

2. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

not sure if this will help, but has been posted around with people having the same issues:

When launching iTunes v8.0.2 hold your Option key, and you should be prompted to choose or create a library. Click choose libary, and navigate to ~/Music/iTunes/Previous iTunes Libraries/ and choose the most recently dated file.

3. ojwk thread starter macrumors regular

ojwk

Yeah the trouble is that the most recent library file has already been 'updated' to 8.1 and therefore can't be read by 8.02... rather annoying.

As a temporary solution I've installed 8.02 again and created a new library and imported the library.xml file from my (now) 8.1 library.

Hopefully if other people are having similar problems Apple will release some kind of update. I'm not counting on it though..

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Download the iTunes installer from Apple and reinstall 8.1. You might need to delete the iTunes app before installing.

5. ojwk thread starter macrumors regular

ojwk

Again? I've already tried this once and provided Apple hasn't released 8.1.1 I don't see how this would work.

I tried it twice and on the second time used AppZapper to destroy the previous installation; still no joy.