Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Transblam32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
First off I have a Iphone 3gs that got water damage...

Everything works now except the LCD screen. When the phone is on all i see is a

blank white screen(no apple logo while turning it on), but i can slide to unlock the phone, play music, and hear the phone lock when the sleep button is pressed. I have replaced the LCD but am not sure that the new one was faulty or not. Also i placed the motherboard in 91% alcohol through out the night for any corrosion that i could not see. I am not sure if I should replace the LCD again or if it is connector 1 corroded or what...

Anyone please let me know!! I will appreciate it a lot

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
make sure the connectors are not corroded first off. make sure the connector is snapped in perfectly. then hold the home button and the on/off button at the same time until you see the apple logo. this should reset it.

Transblam32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
It looks like there might be some corrosion on the connector one spot toward the bottom right. I left it in alcohol over night and tried to use a toothbrush to get it off but it is still there any ideas??

anthony.nicaud

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2010
Singapore
similar problem, different/unknown cause!

Alright, I cant really find any other post or thread similar to what i am trying to find but this is the closest! PLEASE HELP ME!

I have an iPhone 3G S for going on 6 months and I have never dropped it,gotten it wet, thrown it at the wall, and/or jostled it in any way. It's had a screen protector and case around it for most of its "life"
recently, I had updated to iOS 4.1 and i dont know if this is connected to the os update but my phone suddenly got this "White screen of death" but, everything works, iTunes, iPod, interface all works. and when I do the soft reset / hard reset the screen works again, that is until the screen sleeps, then when i turn it back on, POOF, white again. I tried restoring it..to no avail. :(
anybody else get this?

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
Alright, I cant really find any other post or thread similar to what i am trying to find but this is the closest! PLEASE HELP ME!

I have an iPhone 3G S for going on 6 months and I have never dropped it,gotten it wet, thrown it at the wall, and/or jostled it in any way. It's had a screen protector and case around it for most of its "life"
recently, I had updated to iOS 4.1 and i dont know if this is connected to the os update but my phone suddenly got this "White screen of death" but, everything works, iTunes, iPod, interface all works. and when I do the soft reset / hard reset the screen works again, that is until the screen sleeps, then when i turn it back on, POOF, white again. I tried restoring it..to no avail. :(
anybody else get this?

your lcd is bad but you are in luck! I had the exact same thing (word for word) happen to me a few weeks ago. I called apple and told them what was going on and this was after the 4.0.1 update. they had me send in the phone and they replaced it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.