Everytime I open firefox this message pops up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tman08, Mar 13, 2008.

1. tman08 macrumors member

Everytime I open firefox a window pops up showing me to drag the firefox icon in to my applications. I did it and it still pops ups. Also there is a little firefox icon hard drive thing that comes up every time I open firefox. I eject it when I am done with firefox. Is there are way to disable that?

2. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Sounds like you are running the dmg file. When Firefox is in the Applications folder, double click on that icon, NOT the one on the desktop that you downloaded - it sounds as if you have it installed, but are using the wrong icon to launch the app.

3. tman08 thread starter macrumors member

thanks that fixed it. But what about that firefox harddrive? Is that suppose to open when I open firefox?

4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

No
    That is the installer image, you are supposed to unmount it after you install firefox.

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Unmount it by clicking on it and:

1. pressing Command E

2. Dragging it to your trashcan

3. Right clicking (control clicking) on it and pressing eject

Then I would recommend you delete the .dmg file that you downloaded to avoid confusion.

This is such a common problem for folks who don't understand how the mac works when they get one. I've run into several folks that I know who are new mac users that run apps from the mounted .dmg's :(

Always drag the app to your applications folder, unmount the DMG and delete it (or back it up if you like to keep an archive of installer folders. Then run the app from your applications folder.

If you wish to have an icon in your dock for that given app at the bottom of your screen, simply launch the app, and then once launched, drag the icon to a different position in your dock and it will stay.