Everytime I "sync" my phone is starts backing up. Can I stop this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chaca, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Chaca macrumors newbie

Hello. Just like the title says. Whenever i sync my phone it backs it up which is like a 30-45 minute process. I don't remember changing any settings on my phone or itunes to do this. I am using the newest version of itunes and i have an unlocked 2.0 2g phone. Is there a way to just sync and not backup? I frequently add small things a wallpaper here or a video there and I really don't want to wait 45 mins to do it. thank you in advance

I also looked under prefrences>devices and turned off automatic backup and it did nothing

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

did you check or uncheck the box? if you check it, automatic backups will be disabled. anytime you sync, it will backup, but it won't automatically sync when you plug your iPhone in.

3. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i dont have automatic sync checked but itll still back up when i hit sync, since 2.1 i dont care because it takes a minute or so, but if you really dont want it to back up you can click the little x in the grey box with the status bar at the top, that will cancel the backup

4. Chaca thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Mikey I tried it did not work however the posters below you suggestion worked like a charm much appreciated from the both of you thanks :)

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

update to 2.1 using QuickPwn and Apple's 2.1 firmware. use this guide.

2.1 now has very quick backup times which i experienced when using a friend's original iPhone with 2.1.

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

On a Mac? Here's a simple Apple script that you can run to enable/disable backups on the fly.

set theResult to do shell script "defaults read com.apple.itunes DeviceBackupsDisabled"
    if theResult is "1" then
    tell application "Finder" to display alert "iPhone backups are currently disabled. Do you want to enable them?" buttons {"Cancel", "Enable"} default button 2
    else
    tell application "Finder" to display alert "iPhone backups are currently enabled. Do you want to disable them?" buttons {"Cancel", "Disable"} default button 2
    end if
    copy the result as list to {theButton}

tell application "System Events" to set iTunesRunning to count (every process whose name is "iTunes")
    if iTunesRunning > 0 then
    tell application "iTunes" to quit
    delay 3
    end if

if theButton is "Enable" then
    do shell script "defaults write com.apple.itunes DeviceBackupsDisabled -bool NO"
    else if theButton is "Disable" then
    do shell script "defaults write com.apple.itunes DeviceBackupsDisabled -bool YES"
    end if

if theButton is not "Cancel" then
    set theResult to do shell script "defaults read com.apple.itunes DeviceBackupsDisabled"
    if theResult is "1" then
    if theButton is "Enable" then
    tell application "Finder" to display alert "An error occurred. iPhone backups are still disabled." buttons {"OK"} default button 1
    else
    tell application "Finder" to display alert "iPhone backups are now disabled." buttons {"OK", "Launch iTunes"} default button 2
    end if
    else
    if theButton is "Disable" then
    tell application "Finder" to display alert "An error occurred. iPhone backups are still enabled." buttons {"OK"} default button 1
    else
    tell application "Finder" to display alert "iPhone backups are now enabled." buttons {"OK", "Launch iTunes"} default button 2
    end if
    end if
    copy the result as list to {secondButton}

if secondButton is "Launch iTunes" then
    tell application "iTunes" to activate
    end if
    end if

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

8. icewing macrumors 6502

With 2.1 and the latest iTunes, the backups fly now. If you're current, then try deleting the backups off iTunes to get rid of corrupt ones.

Your next backup may take awhile, but after that they should go very quickly, so no need to cancel them any longer.