EveryTrail - GPS tracking for runners, hikers, cyclists, travelers

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by odelay, Sep 21, 2008.

1. odelay macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Have people checked this new app out? It's quality. Just used it on a run around my local park. Worked brilliantly, start the app, use the app's screen lock feature (as the inbuilt iPhone lock disabled GPS functionality), take photos as you go, stop upload to your account at everytrail.com, and you see your route on google maps, with markers for your geotagged photos. All free. All superb. Can highly recommend it, and no, I don't work for them. If you want to see an example, check out my lap of the local park earlier this evening:
    http://www.everytrail.com/profile.php?user_id=14024

I can't link to the app itself as I'm posting this from my iPhone, which unfortunately doesn't support copy/paste! :p
    Just search the appstore for everytrail and you'll find it.

2. reliantj macrumors 6502

when i read everytrail, ithought it was gonna be
    a iphone port of oregon trail. that game was the
    sh*t in elementary school.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

sounds cool, except that I wouldn't want to keep stopping my run to take pictures.

4. carlgo macrumors 68000

You're not one of those totally annoying people who keep running in place at intersections, are you?

5. reliantj macrumors 6502

the ones who wear the sleeveless shirts, short running shorts
    or sweats, holding a water bottle? the ones you'd wanna
    get out of your car for just to punch and say STOP?

6. moloukhya macrumors regular

Just used this on a 9 mile bike ride and it worked great. :D Recorded distance, speed, time etc. Great alternative to Nike+ since they chose not to support iPhone users. Also uploaded it straight from my phone and saw stats etc. on my computer. Not missing Nike+ so much anymore...Only thing is if I'm on a treadmill or on a stationary bike, GPS wont be so useful.

7. Tizzod69 macrumors newbie

Anyone know how this compares to trailguru? I downloaded that and used it this weekend. It sounds very similar but I wondering if anyone can provide any comparisons (ease of use, quality of data, etc).

8. odelay thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I don't believe you can take geotagged photos with trailguru, and I don't believe it's got a screen lock feature but I may be wrong. Also, a great feature of this app, is you can pause a trip and exit the app. Next time you open it, just pick up where you left off. And you can stop tracking, upload the trip so far, once the upload has finished, just carry on tracking.

9. ellecourt macrumors newbie

GPS for runners

I'm interested in how this application can be used for safety of runners. I am a female runner and sometimes I email friends to let them know where I am or leave notes in case something happens. Wouldn't it be cool to explore how an app like this combine tracking with personal safety alerts?

10. macneurotic macrumors newbie

macneurotic

I've used this around town a few times. It's a really fun way to add some spice to a walk. I agree, this is an underrated app, it works well. :cool: