EVGA 295gtx in 1st Gen Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wokka, Oct 12, 2009.

1. wokka macrumors newbie

With the help from an older thread, I did successfully get the 295gtx to work in my 1st Gen Mac Pro.

For info to get this working, I used the tips and hints from http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=707745, mainly netkas' injector (thanks netkas!!!), but also a hackintosh user also posted about editing a plist file: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8199351&postcount=236. Mroy, thank you very much for your misposting, thats what it took to get my card working.

I have a 7300gt in slot 3 at 4x and my 295gtx is in slot 1 at 16x. I'm on Snow Leopard, so didn't need drivers. I have two monitors, and I have my primary display on the 295 and the secondary on the 7300, which seems to boot just fine.

I hope this information helps someone, so if you need further info on what I did, please let me know. I'm not an expert, I don't know the drivers, plist, etc, just read that other thread and followed suggestions.

The card I'm using is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DH972U/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

HTH
    wokka

2. nycaleksey macrumors member

nycaleksey

3. wokka thread starter macrumors newbie

My office is pretty noisy, the 3870 in my xp box can be heard, so I can't hear the mac. This 295gtx card has a large fan on it, and I haven't heard it ramp up yet, but the only game I've tried so far is WoW.

I'll do further testing and let you know. Anyone know a good OSX app to benchmark the card?

wokka

edit:
    After power cycling the MP a few times, I've noticed that the fan on the new card runs at high speed until the drivers kick in, so I can hear it as its booting up, but even then, its not loud (at least in my opinion) and is a low to middle pitch, so its not a whine like the old 1900xt or my current 3870x2 in my xp box (POS card btw). Would have replaced it with this 295gtx if I couldn't get it to work in my MP.

I do not have to do the cable swap to get this card to power on btw, some people were having to plug a monitor in only to the 7300gt and then move it or add the 2nd monitor to the 2x5gtx cards... I have a 19" monitor on my 7300 that i use for misc stuff and my main 28" monitor on the 295, which initializes and comes on when it hits the login screen for OSX.

4. iBug2 macrumors 68040

How is the performance though? Is it really working like a two GPU card or uses single GPU? Results on WOW, or other games?

5. wokka thread starter macrumors newbie

I need to find a video benchmark tool for OSX to really test it. Any suggestions?

In WoW, with the video settings on Ultra at 1900x1200, I'm getting 60 fps (its capped at that in my settings) everywhere except for Dalaran, where its hovering around 25 fps, dipping to 17 when too many people are on screen.

I think I have Quake 4 for the mac, I'll dig it out and run its benchmark.

-wokka

6. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Probably need to test the most GPU demanding game. Wow is too much CPU bound and Q4 is quite old. Maybe try bioshock demo.

7. wokka thread starter macrumors newbie

Does it have a stress test feature, like what Quake and CounterStrike does?

8. wokka thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll run this tonight when I get home and let everyone know how it comes out.

-wokka

Not as good as the 285gtx on your page, but it could be that I'm running a 1,1. It's hard to tell, since my 7300gt scores were better...

So, I've posted the specs on my MP on the same page.

http://wokka.org/mac/

Anyone have thoughts?

9. 10THzMac macrumors 6502

It might be the case that the scores reflect the thing behaving as a single GTX 260-like thing in terms of OS X graphics. Have you tried bootcamp?

You might not be into this but if you can be bothered you mike like to get CUDA from Nvidia and try the code like MonteCarloMultiGPU that explicitly enable both GPUs.