EVGA 9800GT in a 2008 Rev. 2 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by djwirk, Jul 7, 2009.

1. djwirk macrumors member

Plan on ordering the following card from NewEgg later on today, as I can't find a retailer online that will sell an 8800GT and let me return it if something goes wrong.
    http://www.frys.com/product/5827283?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I guess just looking for confirmation that I'm on the right track here. This ROM should be compatible with the 9800 correct?

http://a.mondit.free.fr/mp2008/mp8800gt.rom

Also - reading so much confusing information on NVFlash, could anyone please type out the specific string I need to enter once I have it up and running?

Thank you in advance, at a dead end here and praying it's my video card dead in my Mac causing panics. Apple Store has been useless, they took out my OWC ram and I started getting "Windows Server Error" crashes again a few hours after I got it home, now back to panic on startup.

2. MacVidCards Suspended

3. djwirk thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, wrong link. The card is the e-GeForce 9800GT. This should work with that ROM correct? Also, what exactly do I need to type in to NVFlash?

4. MacVidCards Suspended

As I stated before...you ned to start out with "Nvflash -c" to find out what chip and device id you have.

Not sure why you returned previous card.

You might be better off just getting the XFX 4870....more of a sure thing.

If you get a 9800GT with a 64K chip, it will never work.

5. djwirk thread starter macrumors member

Long story why I took the card back, kinda came down to a matter of catastrophic things were going to happen with my home based business if I wasn't able to get the Mac up and running in 24/48 hours. Ran in to several problems, panicked and took it to the Apple Store, they spent for freakin' ever deciding it was a OWC RAM issue - got it back now, still screwing up and since things are so bad w/work now from the Mac dying, I'm just trying to get it into a running state so I can eBay it and hopefully make rent.

Anyway - at my buddies house at the moment.
    Card w/exact P/N is:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130450

NVFLASH - C returns:
    (0) - His onboard graphics.
    (1) - His Card
    (2) GeForce 9800 GT (10DE-0605-3842-C977) H:02:SP2 B:04,PCI,D:00,F:00

EEPROM ID (C2,2011) : MX MX25L1005 2.7-3.6V 1024Kx1S, page

If this will work, (Has the correct size EEPROM correct? - I use that linked ROM and then type what string into NVFlash?

Thanks Rominator, I owe you one.

6. MacVidCards Suspended

first do a nvflash -b pc98gt.rom

it will ask for a card or index number, give it "2"

next "nvflash -i=2 efi64.rom -4 -5 -6 -j"

where "efi64.rom" is the 88GT efi 64 rom that you get from the efi64 8800GT thread.

It will give you a bunch of warning screens to which you keep hitting "y"

this SHOULD work but there may be an issue with device id as nobody ever posted the EFI64 ROM with a device id of 602 or 604. Anyway, it should work, but it is possible that 9800GTs have changed since I flashed one last.

good luck

7. djwirk thread starter macrumors member

Worked (Sort of!) - Thanks thanks thanks, can at least start working again, etc. on the Pro. One thing though, the fan speed is set to MAX at all times, just insane loud, is there any workaround?

Might just order an 8800GT offline now that I'm positive it was a janky video card, provided they do not have the same fan issues?

Thanks again, really nice to be up and running, not perfect, but I have time to work on that!