EVGA GeForce GTX 285 2GB FTW

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kuNi, Sep 28, 2009.

1. kuNi macrumors newbie

Hi people,

I currently have 2009 2.66 quad-core mac pro with stock gt 120. I was thinking about getting this card
    http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=02G-P3-1187-AR&family=Geforce 200 Series Family
    since the card looks to be better than the gtx 285 for mac. I decided not to go for the gtx 295 because of the 8-pin power problem.

The only thing I want this card for is to run it for games under windows via boot camp. I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to make this card work under os x.

So my question is: Would I be able to use this card for boot camp only and use gt 120 for os x? Theoretically, I think it should work since the gt 120 does not require any power feed and the card suggested above uses 2 6-pin's. Please let me know. Thanks!

2. Whiteyez macrumors regular

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You'll need to swap the video cables obviously. That does wear out the plugs.

4. Steve D macrumors newbie

Cables

I am also looking at this card.

I have heard reference to two cables you need buy separately with the non-Mac version to make the 1GB GTX 285 work on the Mac Pro - is this the same with the 2GB version?

Does anyone know if I will be able to keep my Nvidia 880GT in at the same time? I would also like to run the GTX car exclusively under Bootcamp, and don't want to have to try and make it work with OSX.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers

Steve

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Why get such an old card when you're aiming at win usage only. Get a 5870 and at the same time keeping a window open for future possibility of flashing it.

see my Golden Guide for info on powering cards.

6. Steve D macrumors newbie

OK, I am listening... will I need additional cables (or a new PSU) to get the 5870 working with the Mac, and could I keep my 8800GT in the machine?

7. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

no man you are not listening. reread my friggin' post....

8. Steve D macrumors newbie

double post

9. Steve D macrumors newbie

I read all five pages of your guide, and while it says that the 4870 can be made to work because it relates to Apple's cards, there's nothing that indicates that the 5870 you've just told me to go and buy will work... There is also nothing that tells me whether I can keep the 8800 installed.

10. MacVidCards Suspended

ALL CARDS WORK IN WINDOWS

I'm sure someone has mentioned that somewhere.

Not SOME, not MOST, but ALL.

As in EVERY SINGLE VIDEO CARD IN A MAC PRO WORKS IN WINDOWS.

Any questions?

The GTX285 might work for you since you have a 8800GT. With one eensy, weensy piece of software, the two cards would work as a team in OSX.

As to whether you can run 800GT and 5870 in WIndows...not sure. You can PROBABLY disable 8800 via Device Manager.

This thread started about GTX285 2 Gig. I had one. No Buena in OSX...but 10.6.4 might bring fix.

There is a small window in upper right corner of this page. It is labeled "search". Basically you type some text in there related to what yu want to know and hit RETURN. If you don't get good answer, you use your mental powers to craft different words and enter them in the same box and hit "Return" again.

Feel free to avail yourself of this fine feature.

11. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

For f*cks sake. Here's a direct quote from the guide:

As you see here you can run 1 8800GT and 1 5870 in your Mac Pro as long as it is not a 2009 model.

12. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

^

Someone needs some hot chocolate with marshmallows.

13. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

14. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

[​IMG]

See... Hot Chocolate makes everyone happy! :p

15. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

16. thevode macrumors newbie

I want to install the nvidia 285 GTX 2GB in my 2008 macpro, but... there is no mac version with 2GB. I've searched in google, macrumors and some apple communities, but there is no a great answerfor this question.

MacOS don't work with PC graphics cards cause mac works with EFI cards and windows cards are BIOS.

There are some pakages to install in macos and it make macos work with BIOS cards. but... it looks doesn't work fine, the link speed is 2.5 GT/s and it should be 5.

17. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

There is no question. These guys are not talking about using a 2GB 285 for Mac OSX, they are talking about using it under Windows.

yes I think I got a clue about bios and efi and graphic cards considering the threads in my signature ;)

18. thevode macrumors newbie

Yeah, i'm reading your post. do you hace a nVidia GTX 285 working on macos???

19. thevode macrumors newbie

I'm watching you site, ZEUS looks cool, great work!.

I think my next computer will be a hackintosh. Your site go to my favourites folder!.

I've made a donation.

do you think zeus can do GTX 285 2GB works in OSX???, 100%?, with 5GT/s speed link?.

Another question is... what nvidia?, XFX?, GIGABITE?,EVGA (FTW 2GB)?, ASus???

regards to all

20. MacVidCards Suspended

THIS IS A FUNNY THREAD

trying to remember who here had the EVGA GTX285 2 Gg FTW card.........

21. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

To flash a 285GTX with Zeus you need to first solder a new chip on the card.
    If you are going hackintosh, you don't need to flash cards. You can just add GFXstrings.

22. 10THzMac macrumors 6502

So this is getting hot tempered.

Under windows running an 8800GT + 2G 285 is only a matter of securing 3x6-pin cables, probably routing one from the optical bay. There is no issue.

Under OS X Rominator is Head Monitor of 2G bug - does anyone have ANY evidence this is being fixed in 10.6.4? I have had a 2G card running happily for months under 10.5.8 and 10.6.3 but I only use it for CUDA and OpenCL so I sorta sidestep the bug. I daren't install any 10.6.4 betas in case in messes up some mission-critical stuff.

I'll leave the Ati/Nvidia war to those who know more than me.