EVGA nVidia 770

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ricky Smith, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

So I seem to be getting conflicting reports,

I have a EVGA nVidia 770 that has an 8pin and 6pin connector, my Mac Pro only has one 6pin cable currently. I've seen some results saying I can just stick it in and it'll work, others saying I need an adapter.

So my question is what is the correct method of getting this card to work? It was a PC version.

2. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

One thing's for sure, just sticking in the card won't work.

You'll need another cable and a 6 -> 8 pin adapter.

If you haven't already, checkout this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1440150

----------

Adapter 6pin -> 8pin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330785137873

3. Ricky Smith thread starter macrumors regular

Also to add the model that it specifically is 04G-P4-3773-BR

So that adapter connects right to the Mac Pro Logic Board for the AUX PCIe Power correct? I will need to power this card with two 6 Pin (or 1x 6pin and 1x that adapter you posted)

I'm hoping that cable is pretty standard and I can pick it up locally

4. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

5. Ricky Smith, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

Ricky Smith thread starter macrumors regular

EVGA nVidia 770

I don't get it that message seems to contradict itself what is the otherwise no what computers fall into the otherwise no

It's a 2010

6. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

Anything that's not a Mac, ie the other 95% of computers for sale.

Or it's a common enough part for Power Mac G5s and Mac Pros, but how common are Power Mac G5s and Mac Pros?

7. Ricky Smith, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

Ricky Smith thread starter macrumors regular

Well this is a Mac forum and the Mac Pro section ;) that's why I was confused. Alright so I picked up another cable and connected it but still getting just black

One thing I've noticed is it does chime, but after a minute or so my speakers which are just connected to USB just click repetitively as if the computers restarting or still starting up. I also cannot see the mac pro via remote desktop.

I've confirmed via ping that it's in a reboot loop, it comes online to ping for a few seconds then the speakers click and ping stops responding. I've bare boned it (removed all but my system drive) to make sure that it's not too much power on the PSU with my other drives.

If I remove the NVidia card the system starts up headless just fine (no video card or with the previous video card starts up). But with the new NVidia card installed it just goes into an infinite loop

8. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

You need both mini PCIe power cables plugged in, one connected to the 6/8 adaptor into the 770 for it to work.

If you are still getting nothing hopefully it's just a card problem, I know through experience that having no power cable in a card that needs one and only one when it requires two is not good for the health of the power supply. They smell rather a lot when a rail gets burnt out whether Mac Pro or normal PC.

9. MacVidCards Suspended

770 checks for ground on 8 pin, you need an 8 pin adapter. Most EVGA cards ship with a dual 6 into 8. The side with only black and yellow (no brown) wires will work to test. If wires are all black, use the side with fewer wires.

This will only be good for testing.

GTX680 cards with 8 pin will work with just 6, but 770 cards check for 8. Absolutely will not work if it doesn't see ground there

10. Ricky Smith thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I'll have to pickup an adapter then

11. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

Apologies if I misled or confused you - it wasn't my intent :)