EVGA Plus+ UV16 on Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fabiopigi, Jan 17, 2009.

1. fabiopigi macrumors member

2. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

I'm also curious. I've been on the verge of purchasing this for months to use with my mac mini.

3. fabiopigi thread starter macrumors member

okey, i bought mine like some weeks ago.
    and i must say, i've got mixed feelings.

when it works, and the monitor gets recognised, it works surprisingly well.
    i've got a 20" cinema display (alu), with 1680x1050 resolution, so its on the maximum it can deliver per USB.
    i can watch some movies when they are 1:1 and not fullscreen.
    the are not perfectly fluid, but that only gets noticed in action scenes.

for everything else, websurfing (even youtube), toolwindows (photoshop, etc) or iTunes controller, its perfect.
    when you drag a window around quickly, you noticed however that its not so fluid, but again, who cares.

the monitor gets recogniced in the monitor pref pane, and can be moved around like a regular 2nd display (or be mirrored).

BUT here comes the bad things. it could be that it is cause the drivers, but sometimes (not always) after rebooting the computer, the screen doesnt get the signal korrectly, and its a really mess on the display. when you drag a window on the screen you see that something "changes", it flickers and there are some patterns like vertical stripes that are horizontally offset.
    this can be solved by pluging in the display again.

again, i think this is just a problem cause the early drivers.

4. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I also have one. Just bought it last week.

I feel the same way: mixed feelings.

When it's working it does work reasonably well. I got it because I'm used to using Lightroom on my PC with the main 24" monitor in landscape and a 2nd matching monitor in portrait orientation with a Live Loupe view.

Wanted to check out 16 bit printing on the Mac version and this seemed the cheapest way to get a 2nd independent monitor on my UMBP.

Although it only supports up to 1600x1200 (monitor is 1920x1200), it is somewhat useful and the redraw is fast enough and color seems to be reasonably matched.

Another thing that's cool (better than dual monitor on Vista/XP) is that you can align the screens vertically, which is great for the dual orientation setup.

What's not great is that it's kind of flakey in the same ways that Fabiopigi said.

It was definitely worth the $70, though. There was no way I was going to spend $500+ just to get a 2nd independent monitor on the laptop.

John