Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
BREAKING NEWS from Rob-Art at Barefeats.com

"Turns out those are CTO cards that Apple (Steve) decided not to sell. That's why ATI did their retail version.

So these cards are basically unsupported by Apple and will never be sold as a CTO or kit on the Apple online Store.
It appears that OWC got their hands on the limited number that were built. They are clever at doing that.

I've sent some info to the OWC test engineer so he can see what the core and memory frequencies are set at.
I should have that info by the end of the day.

ATI says that the only difference should be the heat sink unless Apple engineering overclocked it.

Rob-ART"

Well I guess false alarm. :eek:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

"Turns out those are CTO cards that Apple (Steve) decided not to sell. That's why ATI did their retail version.

So these cards are basically unsupported by Apple and will never be sold as a CTO or kit on the Apple online Store.
It appears that OWC got their hands on the limited number that were built. They are clever at doing that.

I've sent some info to the OWC test engineer so he can see what the core and memory frequencies are set at.

ATI says that the only difference should be the heat sink unless Apple engineering overclocked it.

Rob-ART"

Almost makes you wish the 3870 was the stock card in the Mac Pro.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008

Rob-ART"

No wonder it's cheap! :eek: Woot. Apple users can actually save some money for a change. :p

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I remember before the ATI retail card came people kept seeing this thing pop up as CTO option for the Mac Pro and then being took down right away.

I guess steve could not decide to release it or not.

I'm happy with my Blue Ati retail version it is quieter than my 2600XT and my old G5 6800 Ultra.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
I would love to see this happen. :) If only PC mother board makers would switch to UEFI 2.1. :rolleyes: I'd be a happy camper! :D
Even UEFI 2.0, or EFI 1.10 would do at this point. ;) :p

The current Mac Pros have EFI 1.1 firmware. I'd like to
see an upgrade to UEFI 2.1 for these existing Mac Pros.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I wouldn't be surprised if they put a 3870 as the stock card in the next Mac Pro, then had the GTX260 as a BTO option.

Oh wait ATI said they were making the 4870. Even better. 9600GT as the stock and 4870 as the BTO perhaps?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
The current Mac Pros have EFI 1.1 firmware. I'd like to
see an upgrade to UEFI 2.1 for these existing Mac Pros.
As would I. :)

It would really help if UEFI 2.1 gets implemented on the PC side of things though. BIOS is just beyond ancient, and needs to be given its last rites and a proper funeral. :D :p

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
I would love to see this happen. :) If only PC mother board makers would switch to UEFI 2.1. :rolleyes: I'd be a happy camper! :D
Even UEFI 2.0, or EFI 1.10 would do at this point. ;) :p

Really. A Microsoft OS without legacy support would be a much bigger and more beneficial jump than OSX from OS9 by a long shot. All new code!

Oh well, maybe after I'm dead they'll think about doing it (and decide not to).

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
So no one can explain why Apple created this card that only works with 2008 Mac Pros, when Ati already have one that works in all Mac Pros.

Also when do you think this will show up in the Apple Store?

Alot of things are created in Apple's R&D area that don't see the light of day.

Apple could have tested this card and the Nvidia Geforce 8800GT, and decided to go with the Nvidia Geforce 8800GT for the current Mac Pros. What's strange is that OWC is selling this, without Apple first announcing or selling these? Something's fishy. How can you sell an OEM card that hasn't been sold or announced by the OEM.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
From http://www.Barefeats.com

"November 13th, 2008 -- OWC has an Apple OEM Radeon HD 3870 listed for $189. It comes with a "mongo" heatsink, does not have a CrossFire connector, and only works on "early 2008" Mac Pros. The Retail Mac and PC Edition works on all models of Mac Pro and does have a CrossFire connector (for extreme Windows gaming)."

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
This so called "Apple OEM" 3870 is like the 1939 "Silver Arrow" Auto Union Type D that was recently offered for auction by Christies and then removed due to questions about its pedigree.

This is a rare gift to those Mac faithful crave performance upgrades that also make good eye candy. This will be impressive when you open the side panel of your Mac Pro and go "voila"! They will fall to their knees and cry, "I'm not worthy!"

The "Silver Arrow" 3870 is only going to be sold for a short period of time and never be offered again.

AdiosVista

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
This so called "Apple OEM" 3870 is like the 1939 "Silver Arrow" Auto Union Type D that was recently offered for auction by Christies and then removed due to questions about its pedigree.

This is a rare gift to those Mac faithful crave performance upgrades that also make good eye candy. This will be impressive when you open the side panel of your Mac Pro and go "voila"! They will fall to their knees and cry, "I'm not worthy!"

The "Silver Arrow" 3870 is only going to be sold for a short period of time and never be offered again.

I'm afraid that was too cryptic for me, not sure I follow. In the end, I hope this is a positive comment, as I have the "Silver Arrow" being shipped to me right now.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
would you mind throwing a picture up? Out of curiosity I'd like to know if it's the same as the picture on OWC.

AdiosVista

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
would you mind throwing a picture up? Out of curiosity I'd like to know if it's the same as the picture on OWC.

Sure thing, I'll post as soon as it arrives. Unfortunately, the shipping said around 8 days before it gets mailed, then however long it takes ground shipping to get here.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I guess the "Sliver Arrow" would be good for people who keep getting defective blue retail cards with the constant hairdryer fan.

My Blue retail card is silent, so not all of them are loud.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I'd hope they keep it the same but I see a $3,000 2.66GHz 8 core on the horizon based on all the current information.
That seems reasonable.

Not a chance. The processors arent changing in price and I doubt the 3.4GHz is in demand for Apple to bother. At the end of July 2007 quad core prices fell to near those of dual core yet Apple didn't take the opportunity to offer 8 core systems for the same price during those next five and a half months.
The ONLY reason I see Apple introducing the 3.4 GHz is if Nehalem DP (or its supply) is delayed until mid-2009 or later and Apple wants to do a stop gap update. Even then, like the original 8-core Mac Pro, I see no changes besides the 3.4 GHz add-on.

At least Westmere's coming in H1 2010, so the next next update should be relatively soon. Unless Apple does a tiny update then and waits until Sandy Bridge (H1 2011) for the next decent update. :rolleyes:

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
I would get this video card, but I actually have a use for the analog component/S-video port on the retail card - useful to do external video out to a monitor while editing on the other two screens. We're absolutely certain it posesses no such port, right? Wasn't one on the picture, but the pictures aren't always spot-on. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you Rob?

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
I received my "Silver Arrow" on Wednesday. I'm getting similar 3D game benchmark numbers to the Retail Radeon 3870 "Mac and PC Edition." I say "similar" because some are slightly slower. Some are slightly faster.

The whole issue has been rendered academic because OWC is sold out of the "OEM" 3870 as of last night and I doubt there will be more available.

The "OEM" heatsink/fan assembly is sexy looking but is thicker than it needs to be if you are thinking of adding a second card to you "early 08" Mac Pro.

Also if you plan to jumper two 3870s for use in CrossFire mode under Windows, that isn't possible with the "OEM" whose heatsink cover renders the CrossFire port unreachable.

In answer to the question about ports, the "OEM" only has DVI ports. There is no S-Video port (like the Retail version) and no HDMI port (as some sources reported).

That leaves the only reason to choose the "OEM": The fan. It's silent. The Retail 3870's fan can get pretty noisy when the card is at 100% load.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.