Evidence of Spotlight on iPhone/iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by thesdx, Mar 15, 2008.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

As I was browsing through files on FTP, I found two image files under /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app:

spotlight-keyboard.png
    spotlight-full.png

They won't open in any image viewing application, like most PNG files on the iTouch. I've attached the two files below, even though they probably won't look like anything.

Attached Files:

2. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Doesn't that more refer to like a "spotlight! visual effect? Like when you have SHIFT on or CAPS?

3. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Unfortunately I can't open your images, thesdx. I just get messages saying that they contain errors.

4. thesdx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, all PNG's on the iPod touch do that. I uploaded an image of them in Cyberduck:

Attached Files:

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Its just an image file, how does that prove that its on there.

6. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

These are meaningless. They are "spotlights" for modal alert windows. Like when you have low battery, or get a javascript notice in safari, the double-click home button iPod UI, etc. They dim the background and highlight the area where the modal alert sits.

You have to decode the PNGs properly for them to be viewable. There's been a CLI command available since forever, but I'm sure there must be a GUI app out there by now.

EDIT: And these images have been there since the launch of the iPhone for what it's worth.

Attached Files:

7. thesdx thread starter macrumors 6502a