Evidence points toward iPhone 3G home activation and model refresh

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aleksandra., Sep 20, 2008.

1. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

I'm curious what you think of it:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...one_3g_home_activation_and_model_refresh.html

I actually live in one of those countries where they have to take off your simlock at the end of the contract, there're two carriers to choose from, and you can also purchase an iPhone without a contract (but still with simlock), so it doesn't really concern me. What about those of you who live in US? Do you think it's likely to happen there?

I'm sorry if someone already mentioned it, I couldn't find it anywhere.

2. aerospace macrumors 6502a

Not having a 32gb iphone was one of the biggest disappointments of the new version.

That would likely get me to upgrade from 8gb first gen to 32gb 2nd gen. It's just not worth it for 8gb.

3. sifredi macrumors newbie

That would be totally awesome!
    At and of october I'll be in the states... maybe it will hit streets by then - but I hardly doubt that. A memory upgrade is really needed. We'll see.

4. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

This sucks for the people who just bought one, I guess the people who want to go from 16 to 32gb would be SOL?

5. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I just bought the 16gig phone, and I wouldn't at all be upset about a 32. I have tons of songs, and several movies on my phone with more than 50% space remaining.

6. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

boo hoo. you would have to be living under a rock to have not seen this coming. people have been saying a 32GB would be coming for the holidays since the iphone 3Gs launch.

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

1. the bit about a contract-free iPhone 3G is nothing new. AT&T and Apple have said that's coming since the 3G was announced.

2. i'd hardly call that article particularly compelling evidence of a 32GB model coming. i also think there would have been a memory bump for the new Touch if one was coming for the iPhone. i just don't think Apple can source the flash memory at a cost that will allow them to price a 32GB model in line with the rest of the iPhone line and still make their margin. i also question whether the current form factor would even be able to fit 32GB of flash. it would be 2 16GB i imagine and space is already at a premium in the 3G.

and yes, i'd say a 32GB model is probably coming but i don't think you have to be living under a rock to have not thought it would be released in October.

8. trajansburton macrumors newbie

Hmm...

Since you can only get black with an 8gb and black or white with 16gb I wonder if a 32gb would be available in the rumored (red)iPhone??

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Having nearly bought one today I think what made me hesitate was the fact that I really wanted a 32gb. I just don't now when they'd come out with that.

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

if thinking a 32GB is coming in Oct. is what's keeping you from getting a 3G, don't torture your self and get one now. i'd bet buckets of $100 bills that a 32 gigger is not going to be out next month. macworld '09 at the earliest.