Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lostsol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I'm pretty new to figuring out the data usage so don't slam me if this sounds uninformed. My data usage has never gone over 15 mbs in a single month over the last year but I was looking at my usage over the past 10 days since I got the ip4 and saw that I had already used 53 mbs. I did a search and saw that many others were reporting the same so I went into my data-used page on att.com and there was one single entry for 43,427 KBs . When I narrowed down the time I realized it was when I was on a one hour trip to Asheville, NC and I used the google maps with the blue GPS dot flashing the whole way. So that has to be what caused that large spike.

Anyway....I had no idea that using google maps that way used so much data. I've used the app before but maybe I don't remember having that much data used. I did keep my unlimited data plan so it won't increase my bill but I thought I'd post this so if anyone else sees a big spike, this could be one of the reasons.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
53 megabytes?? That's FAR from the 2GB limit (but an understandable concern if you had the 200MB). Since you have unlimited, it doesn't matter right? But thanks for telling us :)

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Well, I would imagine that the reason for the data usage during that time is because you were downloading those maps while driving...

Lostsol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
No it won't have any effect on my bill since I kept the unlimited data. I just didn't realize I could accrue that much data usage using maps during the one hour trip. Just putting it out there for those like me who don't know specifics of data usage --especially those who have a data cap.

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Yes, Google Maps definitely uses a fair amount of data if you keep it open while you travel from one place to another. (It also uses a fair amount of battery.)

That's because it has to continually download the map data for wherever you are. Compare that to a dedicated GPS app which already has the map data downloaded and doesn't need a continuous data connection (but is obviously more expensive).

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
You don't usually use more than fifteen megabytes per month? You might as well not even have a data plan.

I pay 25 bucks for 20 mb of data for a 30 day period on the international plan on my iPad when I'm out of the country. Just to be able to check my e-mail whenever I want, look something up on the Internet when the need arises ,or even drop a pin for new location, or find my way somewhere in an emergency is well worth the 25 dollars. I don't need to use a lot of data outside of wifi, but it's become absolutely essential to have it when I need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.