Evidently one bad pixel is enough

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MTShipp, Apr 3, 2012.

1. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

I decided to go ahead and get Applecare+ for my new toy. Since the rules for getting AC+ after purchase requires a visit to a genius to verify the device is in good order, I made a trip to my local :apple: store this past weekend.

I made an off-hand comment during his inspection of, "How many dead pixels are required for a replacement?". His answer? "One; and I see you have one right here (pointing to my known outage)". Obviously it holds true that genius' have flexibility. He asked if I wanted it replaced right then. I declined noting that if it gets worse or I become annoyed with it being there, I'd come back. I made that decision because I did not want to risk getting a worsened unit. Plus they were very busy and I am unsure of how much "review" time I would be given to accept the iPad.

It is very small. I'd probably estimate it is only one pixel. Knowing this is retina, I am unsure if a singularly dead pixel would be noticable or if it would take a couple or more to be visible to the naked eye.

Mine is in the lower left about 1" in and up from the bottom.

I just thought I would post my experience.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Interesting, as I believe their policy with older units was three, not just one,

I could be mistaken though.

Cool story! :apple:

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You've got a true defect that can be viewed by another person. I say exchange it. Since its not accidental damage it won't count as the two you are allotted as replacements if you were to go swimming with it or smash the screen.

How much time do you need to review the screen? I've seen people sit the genius bar for an hour even at busy times.

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

It's interesting that they accept a return with just one dead pixel, considering they advertise "Retina" as the inability to distinguish individual pixels at a normal distance away from the device.

5. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

I think it's 3 for computer screen.
    I had a pixel stuck in red on my iphone 3G and got a replacement without much questioning at all. on such small devices just one pixel is annoying enough.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's difficult to distinguish pixels when they're working properly. However, I can definitely see a bright pixel on a dark background (or vice versa) as being VERY noticeable, and thus worthy of replacement.

7. ANinjaPeanut macrumors member

That's distinguishing between pixels of the same colour/part of an image.
    When a pixel is dead it will show up black, it's noticeable.