Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
So my Sprint plan is about to let go, and I'm looking for a smartphone. Now I know that many people might say, "Why not an iPhone?" or something, but that's clearly out of my budget. It's a remarkable device, but I have the iPad, and I really want an Android [b/c i don't have an Android anything].

1. HTC EVO Design 4G

2. Samsung Nexus S 4G

3.LG Viper 4G

4. Motorola - Photon

these phones are all $50 bucks through Amazon, and personally speaking I'm leaning towards the Nexus, just because I've always wanted a Nexus (the Galaxy Nexus is out of the price range for me).

Thanks and if you see/know other phones that are Android/W7 for around this price and recommendable, do let me know :D

JAYBEATS23

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
Man with android you have to get newest ones. Android has a huge dev community but it's not like apples constant updates . I have had 5 droids(x1,x2,charge,vibrant,fasticate) I had to do some heavy modding to get those to run smooth. I know you don't to spend $200 on a phone but galaxy nexus,Htc EVO 4g LTE, GS3 are the only things I would consider right now.

Acidglaze

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2008
Have to agree with Jaybeats23 on this. Though I have ipods and an ipad at home, Android is my phone OS of choice. But the big issue android faces that iphone users don't worry about are future updates. Apple has been able to retain the right to update all their phones with the latest iOS version, regardless of the carrier. Android suffers a worse fate. Updates are often held up due to either lack of support from the manufacturing company or extended testing by the carrier. Even the much lauded Nexus S 4g for Sprint was delayed with updates due to carrier issues (and the Nexus was intended to be a pure Google experience).

If you're content with your phone, save $150 more and get one of the new phones. Companies are embracing android updates more and more. If you buy an old one, you're likely to be stuck with the version of android it has, unless you root and rom it.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
hmm i might settle for the iPhone 4 then. It's $50 through BB, so it does fit my budget...

JAYBEATS23

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
hmm i might settle for the iPhone 4 then. It's $50 through BB, so it does fit my budget...

Believe me you will be happy. Matter got with the iPhone 4s , you'll receive updates to late 2014 . Versus an android that came out yesterday that will never get even a patch for faulty MMS and signal ***cough Galaxy Nexus cough****

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.