EVO 840 Not Showing Up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by henryoakley, Nov 14, 2014.

1. henryoakley macrumors newbie

Hi, I have just bought a Samsung 840 Evo SSD and put it into an Inateck USB 3.0 enclosure for my new MacBook Air.

When I plug it in, it asks me if I want to Initialise, Ignore or Eject the drive. If I choose Initialise, nothing happens.

If you look in Disk Utility, the Samsung root shows up, but no partitions. I am unable to reformat the drive or add a partition so that I can use it. I can't do anything with the drive.

I've tried to update the firmware etc. but don't get very far with no optical.

I've tried running the Windows versions using CrossOver, but the Samsung Magician keeps crashes on start and the firmware update can't see the drive.

Short of sending the drive back, what are my options?

Can I set up and update the drive using a Windows machine, and then reformat later as OSX Journalled?

I don't actually have a Windows machine here, I'd have to borrow one, so really getting it working on OSX would be preferable.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

It could very well be an issue with the enclosure. I definitely wouldn't expect the Samsung Magician to work thru the enclosure.

3. henryoakley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I have an HDD lying around somewhere, I'll try that and see if it works

4. henryoakley thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, just tested enclosure with a 320GB Hitachi 7200RPM HD. Worked fine.

So then put then SSD back in, plugged it in... it worked! Don't know why doing that helped?

Still need to sort out the firmware and update... will use a PC at work to do it :)

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is possible that there was some sort of dust or debris that was blocking full contact with the SSDs pins that was removed when plugging in the hard drive.

6. henryoakley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help.

I've just been looking through the Samsung downloads page at the updates for Windows and have a few questions, if anyone can help?

1. Do I need an optical drive for the PC version? Looked like it was just an .exe file for the latest updates and this launched under CrossOver on my Mac, but wouldn't see the drive.

2. What does the Magician actually do on the PC? Is it just for setting up the drive initially, or does it do the updates too? If it's just initial setup, I guess I don't need this?

3. The Performance update says it includes firmware updates too. Does this mean I don't need to do the separate Dec '13 firmware update? It says it will first install Firmware EXT0CB6Q, the Dec '13 update that you can download has a different code, EXT0BB6Q.

4. I initially formatted the drive into the Mac format. To get it to show up on a PC, I'll have to reformat it as FAT32, before I do the updates. I know FAT32 can only have files up to 4GB, is that right? The files I'll be using the drive for a lot bigger than that. Any problems formatting it back to Mac format after I've updated?

Thanks

7. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Maybe you could use a trial of http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/ ?

8. henryoakley thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I give up with this drive. I've tried everything to update it.

I've tried CrossOver, 2 different enclosures, a direct SATA to USB lead. I've tried the same on a Windows machine too. I've tried replacing SATA drivers, updating the other drivers. I've tried everything. No joy.

The magician software doesn't recognise it on either machine. The firmware updater doesn't recognise it either. Nothing I have tried can get either machine to recognise the drive to update it.

I have managed to get it show up on both machines now, so I can use it, but no way at all to update the firmware to avoid the newly documented speed issues.

I stupidly threw away the box (it was recycling day yesterday!) and so cannot send it back. So I will use it as it is, for now and see how it fares.

However, if you're on a Mac (or maybe even on a PC too), my advice is to avoid this drive and go for another brand!

Honestly, two days pulling my hair out, reading every forum under the sun trying to sort this out... I wish I'd just gone for a couple of USB 3.0 sticks or a crucial!

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Have you tried the bootable firmware updater? I have used that on my MBP before.

10. brentsg macrumors 68040

Your issue is the enclosure. You need the drive installed directly via a SATA port in order to update firmware and such. It's not the drive, or the Mac vs Windows aspect that's tripping you up.

No weird enclosures, USB dongles, etc..

I haven't studied this particular drive update, but in general you need a drive directly installed in a host machine via SATA to perform updates. Otherwise the machine is seeing the enclosure and not the drive.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

True. If OP puts it in the machine and uses the bootable installer it will work even though it is a Mac.

12. henryoakley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, yes I completely agree it is the enclosure that's the issue. This is why I bought I simple USB>SATA lead, I though this would overcome this. I thought it was seeing the enclosure. I didn't realise it was just seeing USB(x).

Really I don't think this is OK though, to only be able to update firmware if you actually install the drive into a machine via internal SATA connection.

There are many many people who use SSDs as external storage, particularly for sample libraries in audio work (like me) and scratch disks for video work. It's hardly unusual and so there really should be a way to update firmware via USB/Thunderbolt/Firewire, whatever. Especially in this case, where there is a fault with the drive that needs correcting. A company as large as Samsung has the resources to provide alternatives.

I'll use the drive until I buy a replacement shortly and then I will sell it, with only one write cycle on the clock for half the blocks and none for the other half. I'm sure it will work well for someone else, for an internal installation.

In terms of alternatives, will a USB key reading at around 120MB/s over USB 3.0 be fast enough to stream, for example, 16 stereo tracks of 24bit/96K audio? Other than that, I think it'll have to be a direct replacement with a crucial mx100. I think I saw a new SanDisk USB 3.0 Key that was reading at over 250MB/s and writing at over 200MB/s. Pretty impressive, I wonder if that would do the job?

13. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I have a Samsung 840 EVO 512GB in a Delock 42490 Thunderbolt enclosure and the firmware updates work fine using Samsung Magician in BootCamp Windows. I also recently ran the Samsung Performance Restoration firmware update and that worked perfectly as well.

Your problem is USB. Also, keep in mind that TRIM commands are not supported over USB but are via Thunderbolt.

14. brentsg macrumors 68040

Yeah, USB is going to be the problem no matter which SSD you go with. I'm not a huge Samsung fan, but this isn't their fault. Speaking of the update manner, not the bug. Of course they certainly aren't alone in having an SSD controller bug.

Also, you'll still want to be able to update firmware with any SSD.