evo 840 upgrade via bootcamp on imac FAIL

Discussion in 'iMac' started by murri, Nov 13, 2014.

1. murri macrumors newbie

murri

Hello.

Like many others here, I replaced the optical drive on my late 2009 imac 27 with a samsung 840 evo, and placed the optical drive in a generic usb case (and is recognized as original apple hardware - I assume that makes it a Superdrive)

[​IMG]

After experiencing the read preformance degradation known with the 840 evo drive, I decided to update its firmware. The problem is, that there seems to be a firmware lock preventing any usb unit booting unless it complies with the following:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/ht1948

Which means that the ISO provided by Samsung cannot be used in this case. I have tried forcing the boot sequence from the cd i burned (also tried a usb stick, with same result) via refit, but would get an error saying "The firmware refused to boot from the selected volume":

[​IMG]

So, what I ended up doing is installing bootcamp on a partition on the internal hdd. This task was dreadful with many hours of trial and error. As I had no way of booting a windows installer, the only way I managed to do so is running the installer using a virtual machine to write to the bootcamp partition directly. There are various guides on how to do this, but the one that worked for me is using Parallels.

Anyway, after finally installing bootcamp for the sole purpose of upgrading the ssd firmware, I found that the Samsung Magician software indicates that the firmware installed on the ssd is up to date :(, even though I made sure AHCI and SATA were configured correctly in Windows - lest that be a reason...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So unless somebody else has succeeded using bootcamp to update the 840 evo, I would advise against the whole exercise.

Hope this might save someone else's time

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Soooo why didn't you use the USB stick option from Samsung's website and just use a basic USB flash drive? Using the Mac Method?

3. murri thread starter macrumors newbie

murri

Because its seems that on iMacs that originally had an optical drive, usb booting other than OS X is not supported - see screenshot below apple support link

4. murri thread starter macrumors newbie

murri

evo 840 upgrade imac succeeded

Well, finally updated the firmware and ran the performance recovery tool. Seems all the hassle of installing bootcamp was worth it, as it allowed me to use syslinux to set up a small fat partition, where I dropped the contents on the samsung iso, and used rEFit to boot it.

5. SaSaSushi, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Samsung Magician in BootCamp also reported the latest firmware had been installed for me, but the Performance Restoration Tool worked perfectly right in Windows which updated it to the latest version.

I'm not sure why it didn't work for you. :confused:

6. murri thread starter macrumors newbie

murri

It would not continue because the filesystem was not NTFS (the last screenshot shows the error in red).

So whereas the ISO tool will redo any filesystem (must work at the raw level), the windows version only seems to accept NTFS, and will not even try apply the firmware upgrade (it should be seperate task)