Evolution of Apple Products

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Wasn't there also another type of earlier display that went with the G3s?

Comment

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Mmm theapplemuseum.com is down. Unfortunately apple-history.com doesn't cover peripherals as extensively as the former.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Cool overview! I think the white iBook was the first true member of the current design scheme (ultra-simple, rounded-corners, white and metal). The TiBook was borderline, with its two-tone silver scheme adding extra detail that doesn't fit with the current simplicity.

I couldn't find my old post to link to, but here's a look at just the all-in-one Macs:

Apple Lisa and Mac XL:

Macintosh:

Mac SE:

Mac Classic:

Color Classic:

LC 520:

Mac TV:

Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
A very nice trip down memory lane of Apple products past and present. An interesting evolution. Brings back memories of my previous computers.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Apple design going WAY back could hold its own with modern PC casings TODAY!

I'd say your average Wintel PC has caught up with, say, the Color Classic in terms of design :)

Of course, some are better than average... and some are worse!

(Is the Mac Mini truly the new Mac LC and not the new Cube? Hmmm. I always liked the tiny LC design even when I was anti-Mac.)

Comment

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
nagromme said:
I'd say your average Wintel PC has caught up with, say, the Color Classic in terms of design :)
Don't be absurd. Liking Apple-products is one thing, foaming-at-the-mouth fanboyism is completely different.

Comment

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Yeah - it's interesting. The form factor of PCs has essentially not changed in 20 odd years. A screen, keyboard and ugly box.

Apple on the other hand have continually tried different things.

Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
nagromme said:
(Is the Mac Mini truly the new Mac LC and not the new Cube? Hmmm. I always liked the tiny LC design even when I was anti-Mac.)
So you were actually anti-Mac at one point in your life. What caused the revelation to Mac?

I often wonder what caused PC designers to basically put the same old ugly box year after year. They seem to think that, we have them hooked why try. :eek: We are so fortunate that Apple is innovative and ahead of the curve.

Comment

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
ChrisH3677 said:
Yeah - it's interesting. The form factor of PCs has essentially not changed in 20 odd years. A screen, keyboard and ugly box.
So, how is PowerMac any different then? Screen? Check. Keyboard? Check. A box? check. While some generic PC-case might be ugly, there are lots of cases out there that look quite nice.

Apple on the other hand have continually tried different things.
Powermac looks pretty normal to me. And there were equivalent PC's when current iMac was released. Just because the most popular PC's are the traditional "Computer-in-a-box"-designs (like powermac is), does not mean that ALL PC's look like that!

Comment

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
wdlove said:
I often wonder what caused PC designers to basically put the same old ugly box year after year. They seem to think that, we have them hooked why try. :eek: We are so fortunate that Apple is innovative and ahead of the curve.
Because they are cheap, and consumers want cheap computers. Those that are willing to spend a bit more money get something else than a generic beige-box PC's. Don't assume that because Dell ships computers with boring cases, they are all like that. If you want something different, how about Hush?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.