Evolution of Mac OS X (Pics)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stephenc92, Oct 20, 2007.

1. stephenc92 macrumors regular

stephenc92

2. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Good times...

I think Panther has the best designed box.

4. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

I actually like Leopard's the best, followed closely behind by Tiger.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The old Finder icon looks quite out of place on the cool Leopard desktop IMO...

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

10.0 and 10.2 (Jaguar) had the nicest boxes in my opinion.

Pixar rendered the fur on the Jaguar box, they'd done Monsters Inc a year earlier.

I do have a real soft spot for 10.0, it was great to finally get hold of a modern OS with a kick-ass GUI, despite a few performance issues.

Edit: The picture for 10.3 is the same as the picture for 10.0. 10.3 introduced the brushed metal Finder windows and sidebar.

7. stephenc92 thread starter macrumors regular

stephenc92

Sorry about that - got the image from Wikipedia. I've updated it now.

8. theman macrumors 6502a

i like the 10.0 box the best. the 10.4 and 10.5 boxes are terrible.

9. stephenc92 thread starter macrumors regular

stephenc92

I know nobody's seen it in real life yet, but the Leopard box looks a lot smaller than the rest.

10. Queso macrumors G4

How funny do 10.1 iTunes and its icon look now? :cool:

I'm definitely worried about translucent menus coming back in 10.5. They were horrible back in 2001.

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Now its translucent and blurred...double ouch!

12. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

The Tiger box got changed to make it more CD sized.

Same with iLife/iWork boxes. The reasoning is that it is better for the environment as smaller boxes mean need fewer trains/boats/planes to carry the things (not to mention less waste, although most of the boxes can be recycled).

13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

They're still here in 10.4. They aren't as transparent as they were in 2001, but you can still see whats behind them

14. powderblue17 macrumors regular

That's cool but it would be even better if you showed screenshots from some of the beta releases because they changed a lot of things about the desktop between those releases. When Steve Jobs first unveiled aqua at MacWorld the dock was more like the NeXTSTEP dock in that it used tiles instead of the transparent dock. Also the menu bar was much different as there was no bold app name but instead it had the app icon in the menu bar to show which app was active and the apple icon was in the middle of the menubar which did nothing. I also remember the first real dock having the elipses to indicate open apps as in NeXTSTEP instead of the triangles. I never used any of those but I still enjoyed reading about them in the great Artechnica previews I found after I became interested in OS X. Sure has evolved since then.

15. RacerX macrumors 65832

I would think that any evolution of Mac OS X would go back further than 10.0. The real interesting changes took place over the course of the four Mac OS X Developer Previews and Public Beta. Apple replaced Platinum with Aqua and brought back the dock (after retiring it for Rhapsody).

And the window function in the Finder/Workspace Manager also went through a cyclic evolution too. The shelf from the Workspace Manager windows in NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP was replace by a set of fixed function buttons (which I usually have hidden) in Rhapsody. This stayed with the windows when the Finder (a Carbon app) replace the Workspace Manager (a Cocoa app) in Developer Preview 2. By 10.0 those buttons had been replaced with a customizable toolbar, and Apple brought back the shelf's functionality in 10.3 with the sidebar.

There are tons of things like that, and those of us that still make use of many of these operating systems (I still use OPENSTEP 4.2, Rhapsody 5.1 and 5.6, Mac OS X 10.2.8 and 10.3.9 regularly) don't have to strain ourselves to notice the differences and similarities in this stuff. :D

16. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Apple Rhapsody – Workspace Manager, Finder and columns in particular

http://macslice.com/2007/10/20/the-evolution-of-mac-os-x/ is in the Internet Archive Wayback Machine but the screenshots are not.

Still, 'Evolution of Mac OS X …' seems a good place to post some information and thoughts spun off from a 2014 topic: Finder: Do you use Column, List, or icon view?

I prefer columns by default, and I did use old systems (6.x onwards), but I couldn't remember much about column views before – or during – the transition from Mac OS to Mac OS X.

I was particularly struck by two articles from fifteen years ago.

A worm in the Apple? - Salon.com (1999-09-30, highlights)

Has Apple finally lost the plot? – Independent | News | Digital (1999-10-25, highlights)

More Rhapsody-related items

Apple's Operating System Strategy, 1997 - Part 2 - Road from Mac OS 7.6 to Rhapsody OS – YouTube – 3:07 onwards, who's the presenter?

Apple Rhapsody DR2 on my Pentium 3 – YouTube – despite the shaky recording this is fun to watch.

Poma Ads: Apple Rhapsody DR2 "Workspace Manager" – YouTube – a steady recording, but it's very dry compared to the one above.

GUIdebook > Screenshots > Rhapsody DR2

Rhapsody Developer Release 2 screenshots at toastytech.com

Shaw's Rhapsody Resource Page includes much useful information. Two highlights:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TidBITS: Yellow Box, Blue Box, Rhapsody & WWDC (1997-05-26)

Rhapsody Overview (1997)

Apple Rhapsody Blue Box at Docstoc

Apple shows off Rhapsody OS – CNET News (1997-09-25)

Rhapsody – A User Overview (1998-02-12)

The Millennium Mac | Macworld (1999-08-01, Macworld mock-up of Finder missing)

Macworld: VisionThing: 'Face Off (1999-08, highlights)

Macworld: OS X Gets Closer to Reality (2000-08, highlights)

Technically, It's Still Summer | Macworld (2000-09-01)

Other items of interest

The Mothership!

MacKiDo/Interface/RealInterfaces (1999, updated 2002)

Applications : FSViewer, un gestor de ficheros para WindowMaker (1999-11-13, 2000-01)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FileMatrix for Windows – "Navigate and manage files using up to 10 columns"

One Thing Well | Ranger (2010-04-30)

[​IMG]

ranger - Summary [Savannah]

[​IMG]

Attached: my own screenshots of Ranger, taken this afternoon.

Attached Files: