Evouni Leather Arc anyone?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by mcdj, Apr 2, 2012.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

2. Sterne macrumors member

Wow, that is a beautiful case...I would love to see how the TPU holds the device. Buy one and take pictures!

Thanks for posting.

Steven

3. mcdj, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

My main concern is what do you do with the leather flap when you just want to hold the ipad in your hand? It doesn't fold back flat against the back. Hopefully it detaches, otherwise, you'd have a giant piece of thick leather flapping around.

4. Arid macrumors member

Arid

Wow, that's one nice looking case. May have to take the hit and hopefully get back 40% after purchase. :D

5. 18000rpm macrumors newbie

Got the case!

I just got the case (left a review on Amazon as well).

I absolutely love it. The leather feels and smells really luxurious. It feels more like a luxury leather product rather than your typical accessory.

The iPad is held very securely in a snug clear silicone holder which is almost invisible. It has holes for all the ports/buttons obviously.

The leather is very stiff - I can't even get it to bend into a roll like in one of the pictures above. And mcdj is right, when you're using it you have the leather flap just on the side. You can't fold it back on itself easily.

The "EVOUNI" lettering on the back is a little ugly too IMO.

And the biggest issue - the cover opens the opposite way you expect of a book or any other cover! If you look at the first picture closely, you see that the iPad is upside down. So the cover opens from the left to the right. Initially I thought my unit was defective. Then I realized this is a Japanese product and books in Japan open the opposite way. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

This is certainly not the most functional cover (no auto-on, opens the wrong way, doesn't fold back, the rubber-band clasp thing is not the most convenient). But man is it gorgeous IMO. I still absolutely love it.

The best thing for me is, it matches my laptop bag perfectly (also made of a single sheet of thick leather): http://www.hideowakamatsu.com/colle...cts/hideo-wakamatsu-rozan-leather-brief-black

6. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Thanks for the review. You took one for the team. I don't think I'll be getting one based on your comments.

Hopefully the leather will soften up. It should. You can help it along with a little neatsfoot oil.

I wonder if there's a way to detach the back shell and rotate it around to fit like a western book.

7. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

All a matter of personal tastes/preferences of course, but to me it looks quite sloppy when 'rolled' to support the iPad. I have to imagine that also creates a less than stable surface when typing or using a stylus as a cylindrical roll will make the iPad rather springy. For most other cases, you get a hard right angle somewhere in the mix which at least gives you some stability during use in that position.

8. 18000rpm macrumors newbie

No that is not possible (I tried). The silicone holder is stitched into the cover very tightly (the stitching only goes to the backing of the leather so does not show on the outside).

To the other reply - yes, when the cover is flipped as in the second image, it is not absolutely stiff so moves a little as you type.

9. Farrellcollie macrumors regular

Thanks for explaining that it is backwards for westerners. I was about to get one because of just how simple and elegant it looks, but the backwards,part would bother me far too much. It does look beautiful though.