Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joey7071

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I see both in the Appstore just wondering which one you guys think is better. I really want an application to keep my info just in case I forget something thanks.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
eWallet just became available today. The big advantage that SplashID has at this point is the desktop version. As best as I can tell, Ilium Software has not committed to a desktop version of eWallet.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I had the desktop version for Splash ID so I was pleased to see it in the App Store BUT, after a little over a week, the iPhone version still does not sync with Splash ID desktop. If I had known of this sync problem beforehand I never would have bought it. That said, even though I know nothing about eWallet, I suggest you check that out instead :rolleyes:

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I bought both, SplashID because it was the first out and eWallet because I used it in the past and really liked it. eWallet seems to be more flexible and looks better, but like said there is no sync software for it. I am unsure what happens if a new version comes out and you update or reload on the iPhone. Does the data disappear? The only reason I question that is I updated Facebook with a new version and when I ran it I had to put back in my email and password.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I bought both, SplashID because it was the first out and eWallet because I used it in the past and really liked it. eWallet seems to be more flexible and looks better, but like said there is no sync software for it. I am unsure what happens if a new version comes out and you update or reload on the iPhone. Does the data disappear? The only reason I question that is I updated Facebook with a new version and when I ran it I had to put back in my email and password.

When the program WritingPad had an update, I think I recall all my notes being there after the update, so I'd think most apps can retain their data. Maybe the password was just a security issue, or there was no other data it needed to backup.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

If you're referring to the Splash series there have been problems with disappearing data . . . . that is if you can get it to sync :rolleyes:

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
What's the point of eWallet type software? Just from a quick glance, I'm not sure what to use it for.

Is it like one of those one stop websites to access all your online accounts at once for easy management? But what's the point of having your entire credit card number visible on your iPhone?

I've tried an app like Pageonce: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=285056092&mt=8

I've put a lot of my accounts on that service. And the iPhone app lets me check my balances, ATT minutes, ebay, e-mail. But on the phone, it gives you no option to access critical data or auto log you in to your accounts outside of the app, only the website does that. It also has a feed page, showing you all recent changes in the listed accounts.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
1Password!

Buy NEITHER!!!

1Password is coming to the iPhone - FOR FREE!!

This application will far surpass both applications for free of charge.

If you are unfamiliar with 1Password then do a google on it but it is one of the greatest Mac only apps out their for password storing, generating, applying to forums, storing identities, .... IT IS AN INCREDIBLE APP

But it is coming to the iPhone for free and here is the link to their blog post:

http://agilewebsolutions.com/blog/

Anyways save your money and get something better!

amysig

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
What's the point of eWallet type software? Just from a quick glance, I'm not sure what to use it for.

Is it like one of those one stop websites to access all your online accounts at once for easy management? But what's the point of having your entire credit card number visible on your iPhone?

Not sure if you are being serious or not but...

These apps are used to store passwords, account numbers and other sensitive information. I store my car VIN numbers, bank and investment account numbers, web passwords, my kid's SSNs, Frequent flyer numbers, etc.

The data is kept under very high encryption.

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006
Buy NEITHER!!!

If you are unfamiliar with 1Password then do a google on it but it is one of the greatest Mac only apps out their for password storing, generating, applying to forums, storing identities, .... IT IS AN INCREDIBLE APP

But it is coming to the iPhone for free and here is the link to their blog post:

Wow.....Thanks for posting that link dude. I just read that entire page and am definitely gonna buy 1Password for Mac and then download the one for iPhone when it comes out. It's awesome that they've managed to make the iPhone app sync with the desktop app. Never used the program before but I cannot wait.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
That's awesome - I discovered this app about a year ago now and I absolutely love it, the developers are constantly updating it and making it better each month and well I cannot rave enough about this seemingly simple app for the Mac and soon the iPhone! :) (I also will be able to start using complex passwords again when the 1Password app comes out I kinda fell out of those super secure passwords for using the iPhone but now that all changes!) !!!

Anyways I'm excited to see this app come as well.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
The demo movie on 1Password's Web site gave me the wrong impression that it was only for storing login information, but it looks like it does much more than that. I'll definitely check it out as soon as it's available from the app store.

zerotl

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2005
Wow, thanks for the heads up, I can't wait for apple to approve them. I was just about to pull the trigger on splashID too.

akula34

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
To be honest, I tried 1password when I switched to Mac and found it VERY lacking other than web passwords. If you want to store other personal information, I highly recommend eWallet. I've used it for years on my Palm and Windows and now that they have an iPhone version with a Mac Desktop component coming out soon, I am a very happy camper. Then again, you can't beat free...

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
To be honest, I tried 1password when I switched to Mac and found it VERY lacking other than web passwords. If you want to store other personal information, I highly recommend eWallet. I've used it for years on my Palm and Windows and now that they have an iPhone version with a Mac Desktop component coming out soon, I am a very happy camper. Then again, you can't beat free...

Curious in what way you found 1Password lacking for other than Web passwords. Clearly, those are its strength, but it seems to do an admirable job with other data (credit cards, bank accounts, software keys, freeform notes). The company is also Mac-centric, so the Mac desktop app gets a lot of attention.

The eWallet iPhone app looks great, but they haven't committed to a desktop version for the Mac.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I like 1Password, but according to their blog page, it appears "wallet items" are coming out in future releases?

In the initial release, Wallet items will appear on the iPhone but won't be editable. For me, that's OK, since I don't often edit that type of data on my handheld devices, and I'm pretty sure that they'll add this capability soon. I'm really looking forward to trying the iPhone app when it appears.

akula34

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Curious in what way you found 1Password lacking for other than Web passwords. Clearly, those are its strength, but it seems to do an admirable job with other data (credit cards, bank accounts, software keys, freeform notes). The company is also Mac-centric, so the Mac desktop app gets a lot of attention.

The eWallet iPhone app looks great, but they haven't committed to a desktop version for the Mac.

Actually, if you read their FAQ about their release for the iPhone, you will see that they HAVE STRONGLY hinted at a Mac platform release.

eWallet handles logins very similar to 1Password, but blows the doors off 1Password when it comes to EVERYTHING else. I can say this after using both.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Actually, if you read their FAQ about their release for the iPhone, you will see that they HAVE STRONGLY hinted at a Mac platform release.

eWallet handles logins very similar to 1Password, but blows the doors off 1Password when it comes to EVERYTHING else. I can say this after using both.

It won't be possible to compare eWallet and 1Password fairly until both have iPhone and desktop apps out there. I realize that Ilium probably will release a Mac desktop version, but they haven't right come out and said when this might happen.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I'm curious to see what 1Password looks like. I'm not too sold on the free software, yet.

I want to have something sync to my desktop, so I'd have to buy the desktop software at what, 35 bucks? With 1pass @ 35 for iphone & desktop apps and SplashID at I think 30 for the pair, price is basically the same.

I suppose if I just wanted an iPhone app it would be easy, but I'm going to have to look at each.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
I have always used ewallet, but switched to Splashid because it was only one available and has desktop version.

I had synch problem at first also, but there is a fix available from the company. It works flawlessly now.

SplashID is really a nice application.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I had the desktop version for Splash ID so I was pleased to see it in the App Store BUT, after a little over a week, the iPhone version still does not sync with Splash ID desktop. If I had known of this sync problem beforehand I never would have bought it. That said, even though I know nothing about eWallet, I suggest you check that out instead :rolleyes:

The new version of SplashID is awaiting approval from Apple and fixes all of the sync issues (I read this on Splash's blog, because I was having some trouble with it)

Buy NEITHER!!!

But you need the $35 desktop application.

Ummm, do you work for them? I looked at their blog post and I absolutely love their idea with the basic pin password and then more more sensitive stuff using a complicated password, but there are huge features that will be lacking. There will be no way to store wallet information, just logins. While it's only the first version, you still can't claim it's way better, especially having never used it.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
There will be no way to store wallet information, just logins. While it's only the first version, you still can't claim it's way better, especially having never used it.

That's a good point. I red the main webpage for features and because the desktop version has those, I assumed the iPhone version would, too. I'm assuming those will be added later, but it would seem beneficial to put those in before a release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.