EX Androidian opinion on iOS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sosab123, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Sosab123 macrumors member

Hello there. I recently decided to get an iPhone over the nexus 6. My coworkers all have iPhones and I decided to test drive one while waiting to get an nexus 6.

Let me tell you. I am blown away. The first day I got my hands on the 6 plus in 'gold' I never picked up my now old G3. From the build quality to the beautiful screen this thing has despite the resolution difference.

Mind you I've been a android user since the g1, and I have never been so fascinated with a phone before.

my biggest concern was the settings menu, my ex had an iPhone and I would always make fun of how settings are so haphazardly placed, because with android you would have all your connectivity things in one spot, etc. but after getting used to iOS I have to say I feel Like a REAL power user I can control what fetches and uses location with android you would sometimes have things accessing location without even knowing!

Battery life is beautiful absolutel beautiful. I can goto work with a 100% charge and come home with 85%. Yes 15 percent over the course of 10 hours is amazing to me. I'm a pharmacy tech so there are times when there is nothing to do but browse the web or text.

Another honorable mention is how dam fast these things charge long gone are my days of turning off wifi data and location just to get a charge. I plug my phone in and even with Max brightness I'm gaining juice and this is just on a 1amp charger.

I want to go back to build quality. I think the only phone I've had that could compare to this was my htc one max. Despite it was mostly plastic. I use a case when I'm out and about but when I'm at home I sometimes like to take my phone out and feel the iPhone. How it just sits in your hand flush. The roundness of it how they contoured the glass so your fingers swipe across elegantly. It's beautiful. I admire this phone. It feels like I bought an infiniti after driving a Honda civic.

The software runs smooth. No janky touch wiz or bloat ware to make it fluffy . It's just efficient . Android also slows down and lags overtime.
    Despite my g3s 2560x1440 resolution and clarity of its 519~ ppi on the same screen size as this I feel much more comfortable looking at this screen. Better colors too. I don't know why and despite being much larger and with with less phone real estate utilization the iPhone feels much more comfortable in hand.
    Androids can never get hand ergonomics right and they're usuallly plastics. I could never truly deep down appreciate having one in my hand. I would sometimes get envious over those glass coated iPhone 4s and the aluminum 5s. But they were just too small for me.
    Another note is I love how I can do so much more with only having One button!

I am honestly very happy that I atopped being a biased fanboy and gave Apple a chance I am thankful and proud of every penny I worked for to purchase this iPhone 6plus with. I can't afford many luxury things in life but this truly feels like something that was designed for the consumer in mind and worth the premium such a thing comes with. I accept the apple culture that be what it is now with open arms and feel regretful that I have ever talked down on it.

2. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

I recently had a similar thing happen to me. I have absolutely hated Apple for many years. I decided I wanted the best camera phone on the market and all the sites that compared camera phones put the 6 at the top. So I bought one expecting to hate it. However, I too am completely blown away with the 6. Crow tastes good.:eek:

3. jenni122701 macrumors regular

jenni122701

4. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

glad you're liking it. i have been using an iphone since the iphone 3 and have never used or tried a 'droid one. i don't think i will. oh, i take it back - i tried the Nexus 7 but had it for a good 2 weeks and returned it to get a Mini Ipad. i am not an apple fan boy but i just love their products. they've got the best UI and ecosystem.

5. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

I'm feeling the other way.

I'm getting bored with iOS. It's not bad, I'm just bored and looking for more.

I've been reading a lot of reviews about the Nexus 6, Note 4 and S6 with interested. I'm so tempted to try an android for the advanced functionality 5.0 offers.

I'm just not sure.

6. noobinator macrumors 601

I have android devices and iPhones and can relate to the experiences on both.

iOS is the attractive girl next door and android is the hot but crazy girl down the street.

I keep getting tempted by the girl down the street but after a few nights with her I end up back with the girl next door. Girl down the street is exciting but gets old.

I can always count on the girl next door to be there and be the same person from one day to the next.

7. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

noobinator - i am totally with you on this one. but problem with me is, i think i married the girl next door (ha ha ha). and also the girl next door can cook real food unlike the girl down the street which is half-cooked.

8. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Totally understand and I really think you should try it. Android is actually pretty fun. What happened to me is that after a while, I got tired of tinkering and playing around. But I still recommend it to people and suggest that you atleast try it for a while. Who knows, you may just like it!

9. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I also have a G3 and have been wanting to get the 6+, but every time I go to Verizon it's sold out :/

10. The Robot Cow macrumors 6502

The Robot Cow

Prior to switching to iOS i was also an Android fanboy but when i switched it just opened my eyes and my fanboyism disappeared over night. For having "lower" hardware specs it sure ran like a champ! I was really excited that the Nexus 6 was going to be made by Motorola and it was the Nexus i've always wanted, but when i got to use one at a T-Mobile store, i was let down. Idk but there's just something about it that doesn't make me wanna go back to android. Apple has won me over and I'm in it for the long run. Hell i even bought a damn iMac and now i'm going crazy waiting for my 6 plus to be shipped lol.
    Quality>quantity

11. flybub macrumors regular

I'm still in the Not So Sure phase. I've been on android since 2010 and had a brief stint with the iPhone 4s. I picked up a 6 plus yesterday and I'm not sold on iOS. I will however give it the 14 days, I'm not going to jump ship since I've only had it for 1 day. There are some things I like and others I dislike but that is with any smartphone. I will say the battery life on this thing is amazing!! It could be the reason I keep it. I am ready to go back to android but I want to give Apple a fair chance

12. Sosab123 thread starter macrumors member

The biggest change is the integration. After using Android for so long you become very used to google integration. Especially with chrome and Gmail. But the cool thing is they've managed to build an ecosystem within an ecosystem so you can still get a small portion of the android experience within the iOS. Sure there's not a lot of the fancy bells and whistles like lock screen widgets and etc but in the very core of it all I feel iOS is a very well oiled and easily accepted machine.

13. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I felt that way and felt ios had become just a bore, jumped from the iphone 5 to a Sony Z2 when it first came out. Regretted it after about a day and now back to stay.

Came to the conclusion ios works so why change it. All I did while on android was try and make it more like iOS.

14. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I jumped ship from the iPhone 5s to the Note 3 then the Note 4. Just came back to iOS with the 6 plus. The hardware is simply amazing, although the screen resolution is a letdown but this is coming from a Note 4. Only in some apps mind you, like navigation apps you see much less on the iPhone and you get some weird banding display issues that make the map fairly ugly. Another bummer is that web pages automatically reload if I go to another tab or app, even if I only have a couple of tabs open, not deal breaking but very annoying.

I'm liking it though. I really missed the simplicity and rock solidness of Sri versus Google now, and I really missed how ultra fast switching apps and such is.

Honestly I think it's a wash, both systems are quite awesome.

15. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

How is that 1GB of RAM working out for you?

I have done speedtests side by side b/t my Moto X 2013 and the iP6 and the Moto X outperforms the iP6 time and time again. And the Moto X 2013 is a 1 year old phone.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. There is no perfect phone for everyone. Enjoy your new iPhone, OP.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

What speed tests? AnandTech has run a whole litany of tests and the iPhone 5s still runs circles around some of the 2014 Android flagships in most of the CPU tests.

18. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

OOKLA speed tests in real world signal situations, which are the ONLY speedtests that matter to me. The iP6 can't hold a candle to my Moto X in terms of how fast it can download and upload to the 4G LTE network. That is what matters the most to me not some laboratory test.

Also, the iP6 cannot hold onto the 4G LTE signal where it is weak as well as the Moto X. I can't tell you how many times my mom's iP6+ shows a 3G signal where my Moto X is holding onto a 4G LTE signal. For AT&T or TMobile with HSPA+ that might not matter much, but with Verizon, it is HUGE as Verizon's 3G network is painfully slow, almost unusable for data.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

But that has nothing to do with the RAM. My guess is that the aluminum case has some impact, the rubber bands notwithstanding.

Where are you located? The only times I haven't seen LTE on my iPhone 6 on Verizon are when I turn it off. On AT&T it's LTE about 95% of the time. I clocked down 67Mbps last week in the Chicago suburbs on VZW and about 34Mbps on AT&T. Downtown during the week I usually get around 12Mbs on AT&T and 6Mbps on VZW.

20. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

I didn't say it did - the RAM issue is separate from the radio/antenna issue.

Idk, Samsung phones have crap radios and antennas and give the same poor results compared to the Moto X and they are plastic.

And you have traveled all over the nation and so you know it is not an issue for the rest of us? I live in what Verizon calls a "known trouble area". Lots of us who don't live in major metro areas do. Verizon gave me a free Network Extender b/c of it. It is a tower issue where I live and I assure you with the number of free Verizon network extenders out there, it is not isolated to where I live.

I can't change that fact, but what I can do is pick a phone that has the best antenna/radio and those are the Motorola devices.

I'm on Verizon so that is irrelevant to me.

So what? I did side by side comparisons and the Moto X beats the iP6 hands down in every situation.

21. yui4 macrumors 6502

Did you suffer from much lag on the note 4? I'm considering getting one but I'm a bit put off by the reports of much lag

22. phositadc macrumors 6502

Note 4 and iPhone 6 owner here. No noticeable lag on either phone for me.

23. Thekarens macrumors member

I've also used Android from day one. I wasn't thrilled with the Nexus 6, so I went with the iPhone 6 plus. I love it, especially the battery life.

There are things I miss and think are better on Android and there are things I think are better on iOS, so far I'm happy with my decision.

24. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

That's a bit of a mixed bag. My first Note 4 was terrible with lag. I replaced it under warranty for a faulty GPS and the 2nd one was very decent. It still had a bit of lag, I don't know if lag is the right word but it just had little half second hiccups with most things I did. Some apps were slower though, camera to gallery, recent apps, hangouts, email were some of the ones. But on the 2nd note it wasn't bad at all, I was just looking for something lightning fast, especially opening email and I really prefer Siri over Google now.

The Note 4 is a phenomenal phone, I wouldn't scare you off of it at all. I would suggest getting a Tmobile one so you can root it, uninstall all the bloat and do whatever you want. I was stuck with the ATT one which had a locked bootloader and could not be rooted, the Verizon one is the same, although Verizon does have the developer edition. I think rooted and streamlined it would probably have satisfied my needs and I'm not ruling out grabbing a tmobile one in the future.