Ex-Apple Executive Ian Rogers Joins LVMH as Chief Digital Officer

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After it was announced that he would be leaving the company last week, former Apple Music senior director Ian Rogers has found his next position as the Chief Digital Officer for the French luxury company LVMH (via Re/code).

After moving to Paris for the job, Rogers will use his history in the digital space to help bolster the brands of the company, which include high-end items from Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs and Bvlgari. LVMH is also the parent company of luxury watch brand TAG Heuer.
So here are the details: Rogers will leave California and move to Paris, where he will be chief digital officer at LVMH, the holding company behind iconic luxury brands like Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs and Bvlgari.

Prior to the LVMH job, Rogers has spent his entire life working in digital music: He started out helping the Beastie Boys get online, ran Yahoo Music for a while, and was CEO of Beats Music before Apple acquired the company in 2014. At Apple, he helped the company retool Beats Music into Apple Music, and focused in particular on Beats1 online music.
Today's news confirms last week's rumor that the former Apple executive would be joining an undisclosed "Europe-based company in an unrelated industry." Rogers was originally from Beats, and was brought into the Cupertino company last year following the $3 billion acquisition deal. At Apple, he oversaw the launch of Beats 1 and hired lead DJ Zane Lowe to anchor the radio station.

Article Link: Ex-Apple Executive Ian Rogers Joins LVMH as Chief Digital Officer

mitso

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
Panic by LVMH CEO after he claimed no real threat.. No doubt TAG want the scoop on Apple watch..

mitso

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
He's got the wrong man then because Ian Rogers played no part in the development of the Apple Watch.
Proximity is power. Sure he didn't do the grunt work but he'd have an idea on the vision.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
Well, that's odd. He is being hired by LVMH , not Tag Heuer. LVMH doesn't have any (real) activities in the digital world. And like OllyW said, if it's for Tag Heuer, they hired the wrong guy...
Well, I'll ask him if I bump into him in the street :D

PS: I think it's too bad he left Apple. His previous work at Topspin ( before Beats ) would have made him a good asset into making Connect more useful for musicians.

venusboy

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
He'll need all the luck he can get. Having done a couple of missions with them, I've come to the conclusion that LVMH is a pretty horrible place to work.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Panic by LVMH CEO after he claimed no real threat.. No doubt TAG want the scoop on Apple watch.
Makes sense, but if that was the main reason for scooping him up or perhaps poaching him, the Tag Heuer division of LVMH may be somewhat disappointed as Rogers, in his capacity as Senior Music Director (due to that secretive "knowledge on a need to know" basis), would likely have limited inside knowledge about the detailed development of, and future plans for, the :apple:Watch.

Last edited:

mitso

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
Makes sense, but if that was the main reason for scooping him up or perhaps poaching him, the Tag Heuer division of LVMH may be somewhat disappointed as Rogers, in his capacity as Senior Music Director (due to that secretive "knowledge on a need to know" basis), would likely have limited inside knowledge about the detailed development of, and future plans for, the :apple:Watch.
What makes your opinion any more accurate than mine? Media, blog sites, commenters all have an opinion on the Apple watch why is it hard to believe that he would have one too?

His was most likely a more accurate one by being inside Apple walls and having direct access to people in the know. He was the CEO of Beats so he would have picked up a few crumbs. The rest is on his own bat to put together and from his previously held positions he seems like a innovator rather than a manager type.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
What makes your opinion any more accurate than mine? Media, blog sites, commenters all have an opinion on the Apple watch why is it hard to believe that he would have one too?

His was most likely a more accurate one by being inside Apple walls and having direct access to people in the know. He was the CEO of Beats so he would have picked up a few crumbs. The rest is on his own bat to put together and from his previously held positions he seems like a innovator rather than a manager type.
Whoa, I wasn't disagreeing with you, but rather adding to it.
At any rate, I continue to believe Rogers' intimate knowledge of the :apple:Watch development or future plans to be limited in scope based upon the secretive nature of product development at Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.