Ex-Apple Genius reveals 8 ways to extend iPhone battery

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by John T, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Interesting! I already have background app refresh and some location services turned off. I just switched all of my email accounts to fetch manually. I have an old school exchange account that was set to push but hardly gets any emails anymore.

I do close apps in the switcher though. It may not save battery, but an AT&T employee (not that they know much) said it can save data. I know there are games I play that did things in the background on iOS 6 and still use huge amounts of data when not on wifi!

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The only step I don't 100% agree with him on is the E-mail Push.

If you receive a lot of e-mails during the day (like I do for work) than you DO want to set your mail to fetch.

However, if you rarely get e-mails then making your phone wake up every hour for nothing isn't exactly the best option either.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

But if you do receive a lot of emails, especially for work, wouldn't you typically want to know about them as soon as they arrive so that you don't miss something important, or even if you fetch instead of push then still do it every 15 minutes or so? I mean everyone is different of course and for some it might not matter that much, but for a lot of people, especially if it's work related, seems like they would typically want to if not even need to know about it as soon as possible. Not sure if fetching every 15 minutes is that much better in comparison, although fetching every hour would likely be, but then you can be an hour behind on some things, which might not work that well for some.

5. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

It depends. I close apps too if I know I'm not going to need them for the next few days. If that prevents more frequently used apps from getting booted from RAM and having to load again, it actually saves battery.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I sit at my desk with Outlook open. I do not need 2 forms of alerts notifying me I have new e-mail. It really depends. On slower days I turn Push on. On busy days its annoying to see the phone light up and then outlook soon after.

7. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I close all apps fairly regularly. Check Facebook, clogs app. Check mail, close app. Play game, close app. So far I can usually get through a full day if I'm not making a lot of calls.

9. treichert macrumors 6502

I never do that and I also get through a day.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Exactly, nothing revelatory here. It's stuff I've known for years.

11. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I was less referring to the usage and more my apparently obsessive need to close apps.

12. BigMar89 macrumors 6502

I just got an iPhone 5 replacement from Apple due to a screen issue but I've noticed my device is constantly getting hot and freezing a whole lot, I downloaded SysStats and according to that app my CPU is consistently running above 60% average and that's without even adding more than half of the apps I used (restored as new iPhone) I remember the CPU running at an average 5%-10% on my original device. I already went back to the Apple store and have told me it's not a hardware issue but a rogue app(s) I find this hard to believe and I feel it has something to do with iCloud (again, restored with a new iCloud backup) any suggestions?

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Number 3 was interesting... I thought it saved a very little amount of battery. But I don't close the apps because of battery life I do it becuase I am a little OCD about it. I will never be able to stop closing apps in multitasking. Ever.

14. hgrimberg macrumors 6502a

hgrimberg

Is that extended battery life test app ok for jailbreakers?

15. John T thread starter macrumors 68020

John T

Read the quote again! It's for Apple's use.

16. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

But some of us need reminded, some newer users need told, and most need the info substantiated by a reasonably credible source.

17. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

If you restored from an iCloud backup, then you did not set up as new. Set up as new means no old apps or settings are transfered. Nothing. It is a stock iPhone like the first time you ever picked up an iPhone and you have to set everything all over again. This takes a lot of work but will solve your problem.

Less drastic approach is to go into settings, general, reset all settings. If it's an iCloud or system issue this works everytime for me. If it's an app like Facebook or something you may need to figure out which app is the problem and delete it.

18. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Yesterday while exchanging my 5S I told the "genius" not to worry about updating it to 7.1 because I was just going to take it home and DFU it anyway. The totally blank stare always makes me question the term "genius".

19. cynics macrumors G3

Cool. Buy a smartphone and turn it into a dumb phone so it last all day.

20. C DM, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, quite a bit of that advice either doesn't deal with that type of thing much, or even tries to make sure not to sacrifice that much whenever possible, while still trying to assist with some potential issues that some might have that could be affecting battery life adversely.

21. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I completely agree with Cynics on this matter. Apple goes out of their way to test battery life with everything turned ON and these stupid blog sites pass around this mythic notion that you should turn everything off.

Completely ridiculous. :mad:

We don't live on Gilligan's Island. There are electric outlets all over the freakin place if you need to recharge. Use your phones for crying out loud.

22. John T thread starter macrumors 68020

John T

Pardon! Say that agin, this time in English! ;)

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you notice this particular blog was more about helping diagnose a potential battery issue rather than random tips to try to try to get more battery life. There's a difference, even if it's not a big one.

24. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm talking about in general C DM. Not this genius' advice which is still common sense.