Ex-droid users, what do u hate or miss after getting ur iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmwsport, Oct 25, 2011.

1. bmwsport macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I was wondering what former android phone users hated about their phone? Also, what features they miss about droid, if any?

2. akj27 macrumors member

I miss turn by turn navigation, an option menu button, ability to move my icons around the screen as I please, google voice integration, widgets, and I think that's about it lol. I also miss the larger screen.

3. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

google nav. i'm baffled apple still doesn't have native/ integrated navigation. directions through maps is a joke. navigon and other apps are great but integration is missing.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Adding any attachment to an e-mail while writing said e-mail.

5. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

did anyone own a SGSII and if so, why did you make the switch?

6. onthecouchagain, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Not sure if my experience counts, but I'll throw in my two cents. When I tried the iPhone 4, I missed these Android features:

-Really felt the loss of Google's free voice turn-by-turn navigation. Especially during those unplanned moments when friends and I would decide to drive somewhere to do something and wasn't sure how to get there. It always comes in handy on the weekends. Of course, there are paid solutions for iPhone.

-I also missed being able to dock my phone and have it act as a USB drive. Not just for transfering purposes, but mainly because it was just so much easier to organize things and pull things off my phone. Relying on iTunes and iPhoto was cumbersome--I hate iPhoto. I have an iMac and an Air, and I never use iPhoto.

-The notification system. Though it's improved now on iOS 5, I think I would still miss having the little icons up on the top of the screen telling me exactly what I have that's new.

-Direct dial contacts. Having a home screen page dedicated to a few of my most dialed contacts was handy.

-Gmail integration. Not sure if this has changed with iOS 5, but Gmail on an Android phone is, obviously, fantastic. Attachments, labels, etc.

-I'm not a big widget fan; most of them are useless, but the three widgets I loved was weather, calendar, and the lock-screen toggle. I was able to glance at the temp/forecast before I headed out, or quickly see my schedule (the calendar widget was scrollable so it was great for looking ahead). The lock-screen toggle allowed me to quickly have the lock screen enabled when I went out, but disabled when I was using the phone at home.

-I sorely missed the Android keyboard (keyboards* if you want to consider the market ones). I thumb really fast, and the iPhone 4 missed keys very often. Believe it or not, the stock Android keyboard has come a long way and I found it more responsive. Plus the options on the Market had some amazing alternatives (Swiftkey comes to mind; it was nearly impossible to make a typo on that thing). Being able to long-press for alternative symbols made things handy as well.

-Larger screen. I had (and then went back) to my Nexus S. 4" is a happy spot for me. 3.5 wasn't bad, though. I honestly didn't get what the hoopla about the retina display was (it's not like my Nexus S is blurry).

-Lastly, I slightly missed the ability to customize icons and whatnot. It's a small thing, but tinkering around made it so that no one else had the same phone as I did; it made the phone feel like it was mine.

Having said all that, my short time with the iPhone 4 was still enjoyable and I understood better why people were/are so enamored by it. Aesthetically, it's beautiful. Likewise, the browser, camera and battery life are infinitely better, unmatched really (the stock Android browser is utterly stupid). It was also really nice to have an iPod in the iPhone. With my NS, I'm stuck carrying an additional device, my iPod, for music.

7. derickdub macrumors 6502

What do you mean by "ability to move my icons around the screen as I please"? If you hold an app icon for a few seconds you can move them however you want or delete them, I am sure you knew that though. I'm just not sure what you mean by that. They're widgets in iOS 5 too.

8. akj27 macrumors member

I would also like to add the LED notification light.

----------

In whatever order I want to. Like say I want two on the bottom left corner and two on the bottom right corner.

And widgets? Are you sure? If you're talking about the weather/stock "widgets" that you see with the notification bar then we're not talking about the same thing.

9. derickdub macrumors 6502

I personally like the way iOS gives directions. Turn-by-turn is annoying to me as it doesn't really show where your going, just how you get there.

I also feel that if you don't know where you're going (i.e. having to use a GPS or something else tell you where to go) you shouldn't be driving. Get directions before you leave, and remember how to get there.

----------

Alright I see what you mean. Yes, I was talking about those "widgets". I am sure they'll get better given some time. I was never a fan of widgets to begin with, so I'm really not sure what they all do on Android.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

hmm I'm curious what ex-andriod owners have to say too....

been going back and forth on switching to an iphone for a while now...

11. TiBook550 macrumors member

Most have already been mentioned, but my misses are:

- Notification Light
    - Sound profiles ala "like BlackBerry"
    - Google Navigation (though I did download Mapquest app as a free replacement)

Things I don't miss are:

- Constant force closes
    - Terrible battery life
    - Overall sluggishness (IMO)

Bottom line I'm extremely happy with the switch to iPhone.

12. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

You can always look ahead on the Nav map to see where you're going.

13. derickdub macrumors 6502

Yes, but that's pretty much NOT the purpose of turn-by-turn. I know most people prefer it, I just don't.

14. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I rocked Android phones for about a year and a half and was never happy with them. They were lethargic, had poor battery life, and constantly crashed.

I only miss the following two items:

1. Free turn by turn navigation. I am currently using MotionX and happy, but it isn't the same as having the full integration
    2. Notification light

I do also miss the larger 4.3" screen of my Droid X, but frankly having an iPad means I rarely ever try to surf the 'net from my phone and just about all other activities are just fine on a 3.5" screen.

In the end, I am completely happy I made the switch and have no urge to go back (at least not for awhile).

15. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Google Nav functions as what turn by turn navigation is supposed to do, yet can look ahead to where you're going--which is what you said was lacking. (It can then bring the map back to where you are by clicking the blue arrow which represents where you are currently).

I'm confused by the issue you're taking up, but I'll leave it at that.

16. film major macrumors member

I do miss the notification light. Also, the ability to load my music anywhere.

17. lionqueen macrumors 6502

i'm sorry, but thats the stupidest thing i ever heard. One, theres nothing wrong with using GPS-thats what its there for. Two-have you not ever been out and decided to go somewhere spur of the moment? Three-using GPS IS "getting directions". Why do you assume directions from another source thats not GPS are always going to be accurate, and GPS's wont be?

18. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

GMail integration. I love using GMail on my computer and the Mail app doesn't stack up. It sucks having to use the mobile site version.

19. PlatinuM195 macrumors regular

I'll be selling my SGS2 for a 4S soon. Only switched recently from my iP4 but already regretting my switch.

Main reasons are:
    * Notifications are great in Android, but they feel much more unified in iOS5. Rather than managing an app to show notifications on the lockscreen, another app to show icon badges etc. I prefer iOS's method of keeping notification settings in the settings menu for every app. Invididual apps might have decent notification systems but the Android implementation in general doesn't suit my workflow.

* While the iP4 screen was a little small, the SGS2 screen is way too big for me. I can barely use it with one hand, as in comfortably. It's definitely not as comfortable to use as a 3.5-4" screen. Also the pixel pitch was terrible, I occasionally like to glance through articles while a web-page is zoomed out but I can't really do that on the SGS2. Also, the AMOLED is great but colours are just so saturated sometimes that objects look fake.

* Input lag. YMMV but for me this was a big one, particularly in the browsers that I've tried. While in iOS, webpages feel like they're sticking to your finger, the SGS2 browser feels like it's always playing catchup at the same scrolling speed.

* Lack of polished/consistent UI in many apps. This requires no introduction.

20. ErikB macrumors newbie

Settings>General>Accessibility>LED flash for alerts turn on (its default off)

But, they dont contiually blink, only when there is an active call ringing or text, etc.

21. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I have a SGSII _and_ an iPhone 4.

I've used two or more phones concurrently on their own lines for years. It's because I'm a hard cord mobile phone enthusiast and enjoy choices as well as keeping up on the latest.

Regarding these two they are both excellent in their own ways. My preference for the SGSII is due to it's large beautiful display and the fastest, most accurate & fun input method in smartphones today: SWYPE. They have a few short 2 minute videos on their site. After watching those and practicing for just a day or two it becomes second nature. It's brilliant indeed.

SWPE was submitted to Apple, but they declined it. Too Bad. If the iPhone had a large modern display & SWYPE, I'd seriously consider using just one iPhone. I primarily prefer Apple products, yet I'm frustrated that they tend to reject great options that they didn't invent. If they would be less narcissistic, closed minded and selfish, they'd sell even more.

22. gmhag macrumors regular

i switched from an sgsII a week after i bought it. I have a mac, apple tv...it seemed to integrate into my life better. I already have ipod/iphone chargers everywhere...in my truck. The sgsII i would have had to buy a ton of chargers to keep that thing going. It sucked battery just idling. It was an impressive phone. I wish the iphone had more features that the galaxy had. When it comes down to it though i want to be satisfied for at least the next year with my phone. As soon as the galaxy nexus came out nobody was comparing the GSII to the 4S anymore. It is all about the nexus. The NEW BEST android phone comes out about every 10 minutes. Also, i dont have an IT degree which apparently you need to enjoy the android. To me the apple ios is easier.

23. kaizenmx macrumors regular

No flash man, no flash. And 3G? I want my 4G network back...

24. v0n macrumors member

As most said:

- turn by turn nav with excellent live traffic info (invaluable, Tomtom is close, but Tomtom is £80 plus £26 for traffic, all of that was free on android).

- quick toggle. My god. The lack of power switching/toggle is just retarded. Twenty pages in settings to disable wifi, switch off data data roaming, turn off sync and switch over to 2G. I mean 2G is disabled by default on 4S, but still - what used to take two finger movements and three presses while in the car now requires 2 minute break. Settings menus are all over the shop as well.

- lack of dots, comas and "press-longer-for-number" options on main page of apple keyboard. You don't know how much it slows you down until you start dreading writing messages purely because of it. I now know why they included Siri dictation in IOS5.

- I didn't think I'd say that, but android store was so much better than apple store app. You just never know how much the **** costs! In phone store only mentions that "in app purchases" might apply, whereas itunes pages are designed by a complete cretin, so you can't actually see what costs what inside of the darn app:
    [​IMG]
    What on earth is that - 12 months of what for 26 quid? Just dumb.

- Surprising lack of quality power apps. What used to be free and feature-full in Android, now costs £0.69 and is, to my utmost surprise, mostly half baked, unfinished and very basic. So yes, there is "an app for that", but most of them are kind of like designed by kids then quickly abandoned.

Even if you take it to top shelf levels - lack of developer imagination is often shocking. Tomtom, for example, is uber expensive app. It doesn't get much more expensive and top shelf than that. It's used by millions, with a lot of feedback etc. So one would imagine the developer has a very good idea of how their program works. And yet - there is no way to cleanly exit the program completely on the move. No. I am serious. Pressing the button sends it into background, where it will eat use GPS and eat your battery for snack if you don't force exit it from double tap, there is no "Exit" button in any of the menus. If you want it gone, the only way to exit it without it running GPS in the background seems to be pressing screen, going into menus, choosing route options, selecting clear route, press menu button to exit app. Of course fiddling with the screen while on the move in your car is illegal in most European countries. It's one thing not to code exit button on the main screen, but not to have exit app option anywhere at all?. Beggars belief.

To lesser extent:

- no widgets on home page (that large clock/weather, messages and reminders everywhere, again - you don't know how good it was until its gone). Plus surprising inability to customise rows icons in rows. They just jump around and group, but you can have top row/empty row/bottom row for example. Just odd. Messy. Makes wallpapers useless as well.

But.. as an OS, IOS feels and works like its much better optimized and more finished. Hardware is good, OS is great.

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I made the move to SGSII, no way I'm going back.