Ex G/F and my Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dtmagee, Jul 30, 2011.

1. dtmagee macrumors newbie

When I was dating my now ex G/F she installed Safeeyes on my laptop and she has the admin password and wont give it up. Ugh. I was wondering how I should go about taking back my computer.

Can I erase the contents of the HD and start fresh?
    Whats the best way to go about that?

Thanks for all your help.

2. simsaladimbamba

Assuming you have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, the you can do a Clean Install:
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

3. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

If you have a Leopard or Snow Leopard install disc, you should be able to boot off the disc and use the password reset utility in the utilities menu.

4. aleXXXps macrumors member

Then when you get it going, you need to tell her to make you a sandwich for your troubles.

5. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

He needs the password to the software "safeeyes" his girlfriend put on his MacBook, not the password to his account.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And a clean install would solve that problem.

7. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Unlikely to happen: she's an Ex.

Another poster suggested he needed to reset his Macbook password. But yes, that is not the case.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Out of curiosity, why did you let her install it in the first place?

Also, could creating a new user work? I don't know much about Safeeyes, but it seems to me that it's probably locked in to one user. Erasing and reinstalling your OS is guaranteed to work.

9. borisiii macrumors 6502

She sounds like a controlling ***** if she installed that to keep tabs on you. If my girlfriend tried to put parental control software on my laptop, I would throw her out on her ass.

You shoulda manned up and told her where to stick it :D

10. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Why not just remove the app? No app is safe from removing when you do it using root privileges.

11. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I did wonder that myself...

12. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

13. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

If she was smart the macbook most likely has an firmware password. But that can easily be circumvented (Pram reset 3 times). I don't know that particular software, but somethings get well deep into the system. The better thing to do is wiping out the entire hd.

That's why nobody touches my macbook without me being next to it. And my gf gets mad at times, but I don't have nothing to hide so as long I'm watching what shes doing it's ok.

14. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

This is a piece of (decent) software that comes with McAfee. You can get it alone as a trial or for $40. Unless your GF was an overlord and had no problem spending $40 to control you at all times, this seems like a mom-thing. :p Kidding - but if it's a trial, and you have a lot of files you want to keep safe, wait for the trial to run out.

At any rate, there are ways to get to the root of the system and remove the application. How exactly to do that, I don't know, but it already seems users in this thread do. That'll be your saving grace before reinstalling the entire OS.

15. unixperience macrumors regular

I have two methods, both will remove the program completely, not simply disable it. I don't know if thats what you want, but here's what you would do

I would just try dragging the application in the trash (id also recommend an application like appcleaner before you delete it, just to get rid of the spare files

I agree with this. do you have any familiarity with terminal?? This would to me be a surefire way to remove the application if simply dragging it in the trash doesn't work.

My guess is you need ot stop it from running first, so you can get all that info from activity monitor. then open a terminal "cd /Applications"
    then "sudo rm Safeeyes" the computer will prompt you for a password at the time, type your user password in (nothing will appear on the screen) and press enter when you are done.

the bad part about this method is all the config files will stay on your computer unless you can find them somehow, whereas using something like apcleaner would find most of them for you

16. kingoddball macrumors newbie

As it's been said, terminal!
    If you can find where the program has installed it junk, boot up in single user mode (boot and hold S or option+S) and SuperUser away! :cool: :apple:

17. StockDC2 macrumors regular

These threads always have me wondering whether the Macbook in question is stolen, not that I am accusing OP or anything.

18. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-